Author Topic: Interesting New England Rifle on Gunbroker  (Read 7176 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Interesting New England Rifle on Gunbroker
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »
I would like to learn more about New England rifles. I found this example over on GB and thought it would merit a "special look" with any member discussion most welcome. I have absolutely no connections with this auction or seller.   http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=212594296
Joel Hall

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Interesting New England Rifle on Gunbroker
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
Very nice!!Thanks for the link.Although it looks to have been heavily cleaned it is a classic New England Halfstock.

Mitch

Arnie Dowd

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:26 PM »
Recommended would be "The New England Gun - the First 200 Years" by Merill Lindsay" printed by New Haven Press, New Haven Connecticut, in 1975.  There is also "Vermont's Gunsmiths and Gunmakers to 1900" by Phillips and Tyler, published by Two @!*% Yankees, In.; Dorset, VT in 2000 as well as the two books on Underhammer Guns - the original by Herschel Logan in 1960 and the new book by Nich Chandler.  Also chapter 3 (New England Militia Rifles) in Massachusetts Military Shoulder Arms 1784-1877 by George Moller by Mowbray Publishing, 1988.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:56:43 PM »
That's kind of a neat rifle.   I especially liked the wooden underrib.  Had many thoughts of building something like this, but
I usually came to my senses and didn't do it............Don

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:14 AM »
It is a nice rifle but, as a collector of NE rifles (I have 12 or 14 of them), I'd say the price intimated by the "buy it now" offer is well over what anyone truly familiar with the market would pay. The simple truth of the matter is that there are 500 (or more) Pennsylvania/Kentucky or Southern rifle enthusiasts for everyone who even recognizes a NE rifle. The last 3 I bought, all last year and none of which are as nice as that one (i.e. converted), still averaged much less than $1000 each.

I have a similar Maynard with a horse head patchbox ... the largest bore NE rifle I've ever seen, about .65 caliber. I'd swear it was bored out but a recognizable amount of rifling is still there.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 05:01:34 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 06:15:18 PM »
Wooden rib is probably a replacement- really fine condition overall, a great example piece for someone.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »
Rich, What makes you think the rib is a replacement? I'm always interested in how someone with a more learned eye views these guns. I like studying the pictures, but always feel like Im missing something.
I've done a few with wooden ribs, and looking at this one is making me itch, Hah!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
    David Price offers a great kit for a New England rifle. Very complete and priced quite reasonably, too. He offers a second barrel in .54 smooth that turns this piece into a small game gun. It reminds me of the first muzzleloader that I ever fired.
     David's website is well worth a visit just for the beautiful guns and photography.
                      Dan

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 06:15:21 AM »
I'm thinking that the wooden underrib is probably original.  It might look strange to someone who has not seen one before, but I've seen them on several New England-made rifles in the past. The "buy it now" price is very unrealistic.  The rifle is a really neat piece, but there simply isn't that much interest in New England guns, unfortunately.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 08:11:49 PM »
  I think that interest in these rifles is growing--at least here in New England. I've seen the wooden under-ribs on original guns, both rifles and fowlers, and they hold up very well. Usually made of hickory or white oak, once in a great while ebony was used. I saw a fowler with striped maple years ago and it was quite handsome. If prices continue to rise, I'll bet these guns will be coming out of the woodwork! Old Yankees never threw anything away...

msmith

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 08:29:37 PM »
There is two New England Guns on the CLA site....On the "for Sale" under "antiques" ...You can't see it in the pictures but I believe at least one of them have wire...Very nice guns....

Offline Telgan

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:06 PM »
David Price has a very nice "New England" rifle kit - usaully done in cherry - with a wooden rib. Light barrel, very nice light carrying hunting gun.

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:45:10 AM »
I think all my NE halfstocks have wooden under ribs - maybe 6 of them? I'd actually be surprised to see a NE rifle with a metal rib.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 03:45:33 AM »
Rich, What makes you think the rib is a replacement? I'm always interested in how someone with a more learned eye views these guns. I like studying the pictures, but always feel like Im missing something.
I've done a few with wooden ribs, and looking at this one is making me itch, Hah!
Robby

It just looked too good and cleaned compared to the buttstock.  Could be wrong; wouldn't be the least bit unusual!

I have some many where the thimbles and underlugs are in the same place; noticed this one is different.  That has no bearing on the originality of the rib.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:48:26 AM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
Looks like the rifle sold for 3000.00. That was a far cry from the sellers buy it now price. Someone got a nice NE rifle for a good price.
Joel Hall

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 03:27:33 AM »
The only place I've seen much on NE rifles is in American Arms Collectors Association  Bull No. 44, 1981. 
I find these rifles interesting, though do not own one.
Fine, fine workmanship, superior (heresy, for an ex-pat Pennsylvanian) to much of what I see in many Pennsylvania rifles of 1st quarter 19th century. I've been inclined toward  Pennsylvania rifles from childhood, but . . . I kinda liked the fine city of Worcester during my few visits there. Sure do like Maynard's work.