Author Topic: Ballistol, mea culpa...  (Read 13169 times)

Offline Gene Carrell

Re: Ballistol, mea culpa...
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:50 PM »
I have used Clensoil for years as a preservation and  lube oil with no rust problems. However, that said, I am very careful  to completely dry a bore before  its  use. It does not displace water like WD40 will, but does not gum over the years either.
Gene

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:09:43 PM »
I've never had WD40 gum - I've heard from people that it does, just never observed that myself in my guns, nor has Taylor nor anyone else I know.  Perhaps not leaving a puddle of it somewhere is the reason for this - we don't and I cannot figure why anyone would leave a puddle of anything on or in their gun. No varnish, no gum, no puddle.

Use whatever works for you.

omark

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 08:10:59 PM »
I've never had WD40 gum - I've heard from people that it does, just never observed that myself in my guns, nor has Taylor nor anyone else I know.  Perhaps not leaving a puddle of it somewhere is the reason for this - we don't and I cannot figure why anyone would leave a puddle of anything on or in their gun. No varnish, no gum, no puddle.

Use whatever works for you.

my basement had flooded and i was in a hurry trying to save guns, photos, antiques and heirlooms. i just liberally sprayed my guns with wd 40. when i later (quite later, i must admit)  the wd 40 had gummed even on the outsides of barrels and actions. but it did prevent rust, so i cant really complain too much.   ;D mark