Author Topic: 'Doming' a German Silver patchbox?  (Read 2501 times)

Tenn Hills Guy

'Doming' a German Silver patchbox?
« on: October 10, 2008, 01:43:39 AM »
I'd like to try doming the lid on a G. silver patcbox lid and wondering if there are any considerations in working this metal.  I see the technique described for brass, but never tried working this metal.  Any advice?

Offline bob in the woods

Re: 'Doming' a German Silver patchbox?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 02:21:44 AM »
I anneal it and treat it pretty much the same as brass, although mine seemed harder than brass . I'm not too fond of the stuff and have only used it a couple of times, so am no expert. Mine turned a weird yellow sort of colour and required considerable polishing.

HistoricalArmsMaker

Re: 'Doming' a German Silver patchbox?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »
If this is on a premade patchbox you need to be carefull to not mess up the hinges when you start the process. German Silver has copper in it just like brass, but the "whote" is the addition of nickel. This alloying of the two metals makes for a still soft but tougher material. You cold work it a little while, then heat it to a very low red and that re-softens it. Let it air dry or lay it on the concrete floor or something cool. This keeps it from cold shocking the structure which helps to keep it from cracking or crazing. Use a hardwood form in the shape you want and a ballpeen hammer. Understand when you start beating the metal its going to draw up in width, so think about where you want to end up at. To spread the metal outward, start right down the middle of the door and work outward towards the outer sides of the door. Try to stay away from the hinges iif your are working on a pre-made box. The best thing is to experiment first so you can get the hang of it. You can lightly cup it and achieve a really nice affect.
Susie