Author Topic: gunsights  (Read 13239 times)

keweenaw

Re: gunsights
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »
While there were always proponents of those closed buckhorn sights, they were never very popular even when almost everyone was shooting lever action guns and all the sight makers had them available.  My father removed many of them from guns his customers brought in.  The problem is that in low light levels the eye tends to pick up the top of the sight and you shoot over whatever you are shooting at.  This obviously isn't a problem when shooting at paper but early in the morning or late in the evening when the big buck is standing there......

Tom

Offline Swampwalker

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 07:50:39 PM »
Herb, have you tried that rear sight with a bead front sight?  That seems like it would be a great combination.

Offline Herb

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 02:19:47 AM »
No,  I haven't used bead front sights.  One reason is, the front sight has to be filed down to raise the zero to where you want it, and I get along well with the post sight.  I have never liked buckhorn sights, don't know where to hold the front sight for holdover.  I have them on a Hawken I built, but don't find them useful.  They are decorative, kinda like tits on a boar.
Herb