Author Topic: Green Mountain barrel's  (Read 13884 times)

JLE

Green Mountain barrel's
« on: January 29, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »
Does anyone know for sure what is going on with with all the barrel makers.TOW has no GM barrel's,very few Colerain barrel's.There are some saying GM will no longer make M/L barrel's, due to lack of sales!!.

Offline Dave B

Re: Green Mountain barrel's
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:37:35 PM »
I know I haven't bought any  barrels from commercial  sellers in a couple of years only from private parties due to money being tight. I am sure a lot of other part time builders are in the same boat. so it wouldn't surprise me if we see things start to dry up.
Dave Blaisdell

Rustyguns2

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:56:59 PM »
  You know,I have been looking for a 45 cal. in15/16 for a long time, green mountain used to list them. Now  nobody has any in stock and GM doesn't
even list them anymore. So I found a Douglas barrel from the eighties and rebarreled my Lyman with that . It's a tack driver. But folks have been talking about the steel these barrels are made of,   being a time bomb. SO NOW WHAT TO DO.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:08:39 AM »
    Rustyguns2, if your worried about it, proof test it. Double charge an two patched balls. If it holds up, it will under normal loads. 45cal. in 15/16 Douglas, I seen I don't know how many back in the '70s, everybody back then used Douglas they were the barrel have. Then Sharon barrel and GRRW came along about '77 or '78 they were good barrels. ( sorry just got to rambling on ).    AL
Alan K. Merrill

dbraw

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »
Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN has an outstanding supply of barrels. Green Mountain and Colerain both.

FRJ

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:03:41 AM »
I  am in the process of building a Hawkin using a Douglas barrel I bought from Golden Age Arms in the late 60's. I did a post on here questioning the use of this barrel and got several replys. I have no fear of using this barrel and back then Dougs were considered a fine barrel.  Back then I was using an air guage Doug on a Mauser 98 action in 308cal that would shoot 1/2" groups at 100yrds with monotonis regularity. Far as I can tell they were good barrels then and should be now. Frank

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:03:10 AM »
I'll bet that their are plenty of barrels, but retailers just aren't keeping the stock they used to keep.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 07:14:35 AM »
I have shot Douglas Barrels since '76 and shot with others who used Douglas barrels.  I woulden't hesitate to shoot one breached correctly.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 03:02:20 PM »
  You know,I have been looking for a 45 cal. in15/16 for a long time, green mountain used to list them. Now  nobody has any in stock and GM doesn't
even list them anymore. So I found a Douglas barrel from the eighties and rebarreled my Lyman with that . It's a tack driver. But folks have been talking about the steel these barrels are made of,   being a time bomb. SO NOW WHAT TO DO.

The steel used was 12L14 and compared to other barrel steels (4150 and 1137) isn't as strong....BUT......for shooting a patched roundball is ok. I have heard that in a discussion with a well known barrel maker.

Don't forget Ed Rayl will make a barrel for you.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 05:36:59 PM »
I second the advice of giving Tip a call. I was in his shop a couple years ago and couldn't believe how many barrels he had.

A few months ago I was looking for a 12ga English fowler barrel, had one back ordered with Track and Colerain for 8 months. I finally gave Tip a call to see if he might have one. He had a bunch, of several profiles. I canceled my back orders and bought one from Tip.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
Yup, I just got a green mountain 42 inch swamped B wt .50 from Tip a couple of days ago, so he still has some.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 03:57:37 AM »
Tip probably has the largest selection of GM barrels in the country. I think the other suppliers opperate off of a shoe string buget so to say and don't carry a large inventory. Tip is pretty well healed and does not do his business to make a living but more of a hobby. Not to say he is not a bussiness man, he is very much a business man he can just better afford to stock a large inventory. If you need a GM barrel he is the man to call.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
A little more on Tip, what he told me at least.

He was a power boat racer and a very good one, started a bunch of boat dealerships and made a pile of money, sold out for another pile of money and build a house on Old Hickory Lake outside Nashville to be with the other rich folk but was bored and hated the rich lifestyle. Bought his place in Cross Plains and built his house out of salvaged hand cut rock from old chimneys, quite a fine house indeed.

He started his M/L business for something to do,  being a great businessman and a pretty sharp guy it grew into what he has today.

eagle24

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 06:55:54 PM »
I contacted GM last year regarding a 15/16" .45 barrel.  They told me they no longer offered it because it was not one of their top sellers.  Apparently they had cut their offerings down to only the best selling barrels.  I was later talking to a dealer (who has sold their barrels for years) and he told me that he wouldn't be surprised if they quit offering the longer slow twist ML barrels at some point. 
Their bread and butter is modern ML barrels and aftermarket barrels for modern cartridge firearms.  The "patched roundball" market may eventually be too small for GM.

Offline rickw

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 05:13:04 AM »
Tip Curtis in Cross Plains, TN has an outstanding supply of barrels. Green Mountain and Colerain both.

I'm new here, and I will be looking for a couple of barrels in the near future. I'm familiar with the usual muzzle-loading supply places(Track of the Wolf, Log Cabin, etc) but I'm not familiar with Mr. Curtis.
Could someone please post or PM me his contact information?
Thanks,
Rick W

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 05:23:23 AM »
Tip Curtis Frontier Shop Custom Guns Parts and Supplies for Kentucky Rifles
P.O. Box 203 4445 Jernigan Road
Cross Plains, TN 37049

615-654-4445

No website!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
The Best Turkey Hunting Tips!

Offline rickw

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
Thanks for the contact info for Tip Curtis !
Rick W

Rustyguns2

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 08:05:42 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement gentlemen, I really like the way this Douglas barrel shoots and did not want to pull it back off.  I guess we won't see any more 45 cal. 15/16"straight barrels from GM. 

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »
I second what a lot of others have already said.  I talked to Tip about a month back when a friend was looking for a 7/8" .40 caliber barrel in 36 inch length.  Tip not only had one, but had several and told me at that time that his inventory was over 3000 barrels.  I also know that some retailers are not ordering enough barrels from GM to make it profitable for them to build, so those retailers take a back seat to Tip who orders 100 of each size and caliber of barrel when he orders from GM.  Like others have said, Ed Rayl will make you most whatever you need, but you will wait from 6 to 12 months.  Don't hesitate to shoot a Douglas, as they were some of the best muzzleloading barrels ever made.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
There is another person to consider Charles Burton from Moorehead Ky  Phone (606) 780-7709  e-mail flintlockcalb50@hotmail.com   I'm sure Mr. Burton can make what you are looking for.  He is also a member on this forum  goes by the name Dixie.  I haven't bought a barrel from him yet, but plan to do so in the near future.  I know other's here have.  Maybe they will chime in on the Quality of his work.

Rich

mgcrumster

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 07:29:06 PM »
Greetings,

Here are a few other ML barrel makers contact Info:
   Mark De Haas, (660) 872-6308, A very good machinist, accurate barrels, Mark used to machine barrels at
   H&H barrels years ago, a nice person, and can make just about anything you want....

Robert Hoyt, (717) 642-6696 Good machinist, and builds accurate barrels, Robert can also build just about any type of ML barrel...

Howard Kelly, (937 364-2086

Bill Moody, (417) 935-4297

James Mclemore, (219) 996-4297, Can build just about anything, great chunk barrels..     Crumster.....

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
I talked to Bill Moody about 6 months ago and he said he retired from barrel making a few years ago.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:26:25 PM by Ted Kramer »

Ron Brimer

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
  I was told at Pecatonica that GM was stopping production of ml barrels.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 05:57:57 PM »
  I was told at Pecatonica that GM was stopping production of ml barrels.

They seem to be making Uzi, M4 and AK barrels instead.
Shame. But we are a niche market.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Dave Faletti

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 08:44:53 PM »
According to Green Mountain they are still making muzzleloader barrels.  Apparently they have a long time between production runs and ran out of product last fall.  They have a price list/product listig on the website.