Author Topic: MESDA gun symposium  (Read 2132 times)

Bob Pearl

MESDA gun symposium
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:34:09 PM »
I went to the MESDA gun symposium yesterday and it was a very good presentation on southern guns. Identifying the WB maker etc. I also went and viewed Kindigs collection two weeks earlier and that was excellent, incredible. The difference being quantity, but more importantly, finish. Most of the southern guns had polished boxes and inlays. Too much shine for my liking. I visit the web sites of some of the re-creators on this site and love to see their educated approach to recreating an original finish. The originals deserve the same respect.

Offline Mike T

Re: MESDA gun symposium
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:15 AM »
I also attended the MESDA North Carolina Longrifle Seminar and thoroughly enjoyed all of the sessions.  The three speakers were excellent and it was well organized.  Some of the MESDA Collection rifles were on display for participants to examine and we were allowed to handle them.  It was a small group which allowed people to mingle during the breaks.  I thought that the history of how they solved the mystery of who WB ( William Black) was using the written records, was particularly interesting and a great step to clarify a long standing mystery.  William Ivey's presentation was well structured, informative and outlined the characteristics of each of the nine NC schools of longrifle makers, similarities and unique features among them, as well as accoutrement's and Confederate guns and swords of NC. He used lots of great projected photos to illustrate examples.  For those who have not seen his book, it's very well worth the price.  Kenneth Orr's photos are incredibly well done.  Hats off the all those involved.  I'd like to see more of these educational programs in the future.
Mike T