Author Topic: Is this a Andrew Kopp rifle  (Read 3508 times)

Jester

Is this a Andrew Kopp rifle
« on: January 31, 2011, 02:09:17 AM »
Trying to identify this rifle. It's a small caliber. The lock bears what can be made out to be " A. Kopp". The top of the barrel in front of the rear sight appears to have the markings " Hawken 1812".

I posted this on a couple other sites and a few have agreed it's a Andrew Kopp rifle and the inlay is identical to one I found on an internet posting.

Looking for some to first make a positive identification and secondly maybe direct me to someone who can place a value on it.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Is this a Andrew Kopp rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 02:14:24 AM »
Hesitatingly suggesting this, but I wonder if this is a more contemporary stock  with older furniture from different guns. It certainly has none of the classic Kopp characteristics.
Hurricane.

Online Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 02:20:44 AM »
   Welcome Jester to the ALR. I would like to see the other side of the buttstock. Is there a patchbox on this rifle?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 02:25:23 AM by Captjoel »
Joel Hall

Jester

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 07:35:33 AM »
No patchbox. Here are pics of the opposite side and the buttplate

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
I tend to agree with hurricane on this one.   The stock does not have the patina it should have either.  I think this is a gun that was assembled from a number of "orphaned" parts at some time in the recent past - 40 - 50 yrs. ago.  Just a guess.    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.