Author Topic: I'm done!  (Read 4405 times)

eagle24

I'm done!
« on: January 31, 2011, 08:00:48 PM »
Deer season ends today in AL.  It's raining and I am at work, so it's over for me.  One shot with the flintlock this season resulted in one deer.  Guess I can't complain, but many of you would have probably killed 4 or 5 deer that I passed taking shots at this season.  I just didn't have confidence in myself to make the shot.  They sure look small behind open sights beyond 50 yards.  Could of had number 2 yesterday I'm sure.  Big doe at less than 10 yards.  Just as I was getting turned in my stand I heard a buck grunting down the hill and held up on the shot.  Turned out to be a young 4-pt I had seen numerous times this year.  He flirted with disaster all season, but I enjoyed watching him and he will hopefully be around next season.  I intend to do lots of work at the range between now and November. ;)

fix

Re: I'm done!
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
Still one deer more than I got.

I watched a few out a bit too far for me, and watched my neighbor scare off a few more before they came my way.

There's always next year, and I figure I'm just leavin'  'em to breed. At least that's my story when I ain't got no deer in the freezer.

RwBeV

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 02:02:48 AM »
It was a slow year for me to this year in Wyoming, or seasons a much shorter than yours.  I did manage one Antilope with my original 1816 Harper's Ferry but I missed my deer, season is only 15 days.

gregg

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:29 AM »
Deer season ends today in AL.  It's raining and I am at work, so it's over for me.  One shot with the flintlock this season resulted in one deer.  Guess I can't complain, but many of you would have probably killed 4 or 5 deer that I passed taking shots at this season.  I just didn't have confidence in myself to make the shot.  They sure look small behind open sights beyond 50 yards.  Could of had number 2 yesterday I'm sure.  Big doe at less than 10 yards.  Just as I was getting turned in my stand I heard a buck grunting down the hill and held up on the shot.  Turned out to be a young 4-pt I had seen numerous times this year.  He flirted with disaster all season, but I enjoyed watching him and he will hopefully be around next season.  I intend to do lots of work at the range between now and November. ;)

In my eye you done good. For me its that clean kill. I been know to muff those shots also.
Person does his best. All you can do. ;)

eagle24

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I think the biggest thing I learned this season was that I was not where I should have been as far as confidence goes.  I passed some deer that should have been a slam dunk easy shot.  At times during the season, I was even second guessing where I should hold at different distances.  In other words, I wasn't nearly as familiar with how my rifle was shooting as I should have been (or lacked confidence in it).  I would never let that happen with my bowhunting and shouldn't have let it happen with my flintlock.  I will be more prepared and more confident next fall.  I got some good suggestions on preperation earlier in the year.  I'm going to kill some cardboard deer this summer! :D

omark

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
I think the biggest thing I learned this season was that I was not where I should have been as far as confidence goes.  I passed some deer that should have been a slam dunk easy shot.  At times during the season, I was even second guessing where I should hold at different distances.  In other words, I wasn't nearly as familiar with how my rifle was shooting as I should have been (or lacked confidence in it).  I would never let that happen with my bowhunting and shouldn't have let it happen with my flintlock.  I will be more prepared and more confident next fall.  I got some good suggestions on preperation earlier in the year.  I'm going to kill some cardboard deer this summer! :D
you certainly did the right thing in passing shots you werent sure of. but a muzzleloader with a decent hunting load doesnt vary all that much from a CF up to 100 yds or so, considering many times you dont know the exact distance and are shooting off hand. try it, youll see that your shots are in the kill zone on a chest shot.  mark

eagle24

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
you certainly did the right thing in passing shots you werent sure of. but a muzzleloader with a decent hunting load doesnt vary all that much from a CF up to 100 yds or so, considering many times you dont know the exact distance and are shooting off hand. try it, youll see that your shots are in the kill zone on a chest shot.  mark

I understand, but somehow the ignition of a 7mm WSM seems faster than the flintlock and a Swarovski scope on 9 power looks more precise than my iron sights.  Especially 30 min before dark.  Seriously, I had some times in the woods when I took aim and just started second guessing myself on what I was seeing with the iron sights.  I don't know how else to put it, but I realized I need to shoot more.  I also need to shoot more under different circumstances (particularly lighting) and at targets other than a 50 yard 5-spot.  I need to learn what my capabilities are and have confidence in them.  I just didn't have that at times this year. 

omark

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 01:49:55 AM »
i understand and agree with you. i was just getting to the point that POI or trajectory isnt that much greater than a CF. and i agree that you did the right thing. i have passed several shots that in retrospect know i could have made, but wasnt comfortable with at the time. i too need more shooting time, much more.   mark