Author Topic: 36 Calibre  (Read 5987 times)

don getz

36 Calibre
« on: October 11, 2008, 05:34:10 AM »
Barry Harmon from Mechanicsburg, Pa. was up to the shop today.  Brought a target along that he shot with a new 36
cal. rifle he just finished.  It has one of John's golden age A weight barrel, 36 cal., 1/48" twist.   The target was shot at
50 yards, 5 shots that can be covered with a dime, easily.  Sure wish I could see that well, but, this kind of shooting is
not unusual for Barry.   He is also a super black powder cartridge shooter..............Don

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: 36 Calibre
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 03:24:55 PM »
 Lasic surgery, you WILL NOT believe the difference. I had it done 3 or 4 years ago and it is unbelieveable how much better I can see both up close and at a distance.

Tim C.   

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 12:20:33 AM »
I love my .36 caliber!  I built it in the early spring and went to sight it in while it was unfinished.  Well, I have still not finished it because I can't stop shooting it long enough.  I just got back from a weekend squirrel hunting trip in the hills of WV.  My cur was treeing them and I was knocking them out with my 36.  The average was about 35 yards or so. I have it zeroed at 50 yards.  While I can not cover the groups with a dime at 50 yards, I can cover the groups with a quarter at 30 to 35 yards.
     The only bad thing about the .36 is the power it is packing.  I shot one squirrel in the mid body section and it nearly tore itl in half.  Head shots are a must!
                                                                  Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:59 AM »
I had a .36 caliber flintlock southern mountain rifle many years ago. It had all browned steel furniture, a 42" long barrel that was 3/4" from flat to flat. a bean trigger guard, double set triggers.  I was stupid to sale it.  It was a sweet rifle.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Herb

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:48:42 AM »
I built one .36, a copy of a Samuel Faries rifle shown in Ohio Long Rifles, Volume I, and Ohio Gunsmiths and Allied Tradesmen, Volume I.  I think Keith, whose wife Sandy bought the rifle from me for him, just told me at the Peep Shoot it has 14 sterling silver inlays I put in it.  I didn't even get to make a drawing of it or take any photos except these two.  I only shot it about 12 times to regulate the sights.

Howsomever- it would shoot.  Here is Keith at one of Neill's matches, this target is a silhouette at 100 yards.  One shot only, offhand, someone else had shot at the head.  See Keith's shot in that center orange sticker?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:41:27 PM by Herb »
Herb

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 04:47:11 PM »
Most accurate rifle I ever owned was a factory H&A underhammer in .36 I bought ca. 1970.  Traded it off and never got another .36--that was a mistake, but now I have too many rifles and not enough opportunity to shoot them.  My set skips from .32 to .40, then .45[2], .50[3], .54[2], .58 and then a .62 smoothie!  The old H&A would shoot 1" groups at 100 yds with a tang peep and much younger eyes....and no wind.

MarkEngraver

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »
I am building a .36 x3/4" x42 " Tennessee rifle right now.
You all are getting me excited to get it finished up and try it out and break my .45 "habit"

Mark

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »
This little .36 SMR has lived with me for quite a few years.  I've fired 50 yard groups as small as 3/4" but this is better than I can shoot...or even see.

Senior citizen eyes suck, for this kid but I'll always know it's me and not the rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

blunderbuss

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:44:33 PM »

Mike I had a .36 HA under hammer too and once suffered a financial reverse and had to hunt rabbits at night with it I only had a .34 mold so I patched with a piece of blue jean and got up close. That was in the 70's It was finally stolen I wish I had it back just for old times and who knows may need to hunt cotton tails with it again.

blunderbuss

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
It has taken me a while to get a load worked up with mine.

Right now I am using 000 buck shot and an .020 patch with 40 grains of 3Fg GOEX.  My groups at 50 yards are about the same as what I can do with my 25-20.  I need something a bit bigger than a dime!  But they are fun to shoot!  An great for stalking woodchucks on a warm summer afternoon!

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:39:09 PM »
Gorgeous rifle you have there.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.