Author Topic: jaeger rifle  (Read 10471 times)

jeager58

jaeger rifle
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »
I'm going to build my first rifle this year. I would like to start with a jaeger rifle in 58 cal. I have been practicing my carving on oak and maple scrap and not doing too shabby. I want to get a precarved stock that is inletted for the barrel , lock and trigger so I can see how it all comes together.  I have george shumways book on jaegers
chuck dixons book on building the pennsylvania longrifle   pennsylvania longrifles of note by george shumway   I also have the flintlock its origin , use and development by torsten lenk . the last has good pictures but a real sleeper to read.
 I have a lot of questions but ill ask a few at a time.  I see that the precarved stocks come in either  31 or 36 inch barrels. will four inches in barrel length change the accuracy  and make a difference in the powder burn?
  the stock suppliers I have found are tip curtis ( 5 different patterns)  dunlap(1)
muzzleloaders builders supply(1)  tow(1)  pecatonica river lr supply(1)
  any suggestions as to length and maker. barrel swamped or straight.
  now I know most of the German jaegers were stocked in walnut  but what were the gunsmiths using here  oak maple cherry?
any help I would appreciate    thanks in advance   Phil

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: jaeger rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
Jeager58:    Welcome to the ALR!   You have come to the right place - plenty of excellent advice and you don't even have to ask for it!  ;D    I have never built a Germanic Jeager but from what I hear they are in a class of all of their own.    You might consider a less complicated and ornate rifle for your first build.  The Jeager was a "rich man's" gun and there fore well decorated.   I recommend Ron Scott on this forum for good advice.   As far as wood suppliers I recommend Dunlap from the ones that you mentioned.         Hugh Toenjes
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 12:00:28 AM by Blacksmoke »
H.T.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 08:51:47 PM »
First, Phil,  welcome to the ALR site.  I think you'll be pleased with the feedback you get here...there are many very talented builders who frequent the site, and are happy to share their experience and knowledge.

I am familiar only with TOW's offering for precarved stocks, but it is likely that they are all ok with minor changes in architecture.  I would recommend that you buy a swamped barrel rather than a parallel one, because that one thing along changes the beauty, grace, and balance of the rifle.  As far as length goes, that is only personal taste.  The 31" barrel will be just as accurate as the longer one, notwithstanding the increased sight radius of the longer barrel.  I have a jaeger built around a Getz .60 cal barrel and it is my favourite hunting rifle...light to carry, quick to the target, and deadly accurate.  I built mine with a piece of good western maple and very much like the blast of colour in the figure of this wood.  The only original rifle or gun I've ever seen stocked in oak was a re-stock by a farmer...it was terrible.  Most jaegers were stocked in European walnut, so English walnut would be the best choice, as far as I am concerned.  Maple, cherry, and Black Walnut are also fine hardwoods for stockmaking.  But not oak! IMHO
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
NOT OAK! Are you doing a german version or American restock? Use English or black walnut accordingly, don't think I have seen them done in cherry or maple.
For a first timer the military versions can be unadorned and VERY functional.
Good luck!
Tom C.

jeager58

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:58:29 PM »
thanks I have been in touch with ron scott. he is out of the area but will get in touch with me when he returns

Offline bgf

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
One thought I have is that if you like the Jaeger look (ornate metal and lots of carving), there's no substitute.  However, if you like the shape and size mostly, and want a little easier starter for inletting, etc., the Christians Spring(s?)/Edward Marshall kits from TOW and Chambers (and maybe others) look like they might be something nice to check out -- you can still use your carving skills.  I think they have a 37" swamped barrel.  I'm not that knowledgeable, so take the advice for what its worth, more as a suggestion to consider.

RwBeV

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
I think I have to agree with Blacksmoke I have never built a Jaeger I'm into poorboys, that being said I looked at a Jaeger at a gunshow this week end you might want to look at something a bit simpler for your first build.  I say that but my first build from the ground up was a double flint 16 ga, that caused a few gray hairs.  What ever you build I look forward to seeing some pictures of it.  Good luck!!

Bob

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 10:12:52 PM »
Jeager, Welcome aboard. You will find a wealth of knowledge here, and a lot of talented, unselfish people, very willing to share it. I agree with Taylor, the swamped barrel is the way to go, length is more of a personal preference, I'd go longer. For a first gun, every one has their own way of doing things, and that is something you have to figure for your self, me, when I jump, its with both feet. I say carve away, and enjoy your self. Its too bad the "Steinschloss Jagerbuchen"book is no longer available, or maybe you could find a copy on one of the book sites. It is full of beautifully carved, and inlayed Jaegers. Good luck!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline grabenkater

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »
I have photos of a scaled down Jaeger thats in a private museum in Switzerland.

Its overall length was around 36 inches long from buttstock to muzzle. I would imagine the barrel was somewhere around 24 to 28 inches. I was impressed that the barrel is brass as is the lockplate and all hardware. The bore was very large for such a small gun, I am guessing around a .58 caliber and maybe even a .60. The caption said in German that the wood was Birnholz (pearwood). I assume that it was made for a young boy or a lady, or a very short man  ;)

I will try to find the pics, but I suspect they are on my PC that died.
When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:41:39 AM »
There are quite a number of original jaegers stocked in maple, so don't be afeared to use it. Walnut is good, too. Jim Filipski has done several fine jaegers in American Walnut.

This is a 'fantasy gun' as in it is not a copy, but an imaginary 'could have been' gun. It is maple, strong European influence, with a touch of Americana in the carving. This is sugar maple.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 02:02:54 AM »
Jager.......I see in your profile that you live in Harvey's Lake....Pocono section..right?   You should make a trip to Lewisburg
,Pa. on friday or saturday.   The 18th Century Artisans Show is taking place there....check it out.   About 5 miles south of
Rt. 80, west of the Susquehanna river, on Rt. 15....it a great show.   A lot of super builders, parts are available, it would
be a most worthwhile trip.    Find my table, I can convince you not to build one.......check out my english sporting rifle...............Don

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 02:07:02 AM »
You might try R E Davis as well.  Same lock as on Track of the Wolf's gun and cheaper too.  Go with a walnut stock.  I've dealt with Pecatonica before and they are good folks but the architecture on the Jaeger they sell looks hideous. 
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

jeager58

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 03:12:26 AM »
well don I already had plans to be at the lewisburg show on Friday.
also I already had planned to stop by to talk about barrels.
as for talking me out of the jaeger we will have to see about that. once i
have an idea its hard to change my mind. looking forward to meeting you
                                                                                                       ...phil

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:09:51 AM »
Don't forget Dunlap wood products. They have componabt sets(kits) too.  Very nice folks to work with too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »
Go to flintlocks.com  (Jim Chambers) or germanguns.com  for Steinschloss-Jägerbüchsen, $145 + shipping. It is in German but the photographs read just fine.
The photography is unmatched by anything else written on this subject.
Chambers used to have an English translation available as well, translated by Eric A. Bye copyright 2006 Jim Chambers Flintlocks, Ldt.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
Good Morning,  I had been to the ACGG show in Reno, representing the CLA.  I think you have been presented with some sound answers to your first group of question.  None of the precarve stock patters I have seen have enough authenticity to get my recomendation.  Don Getz has good suggestion on the English Sporting Rifle. It will have the same balance and shooting characteristics, while being easier to assemble and finish. Jim Cambers makes an excellent kit.  You might consider that for a first rifle and move on to the Germanic Form later. There have been some requests for a class on a simpler version of a Jaeger.  It might be something to offer at a future NMLRA seminar in Bowling Green.  I now have molds for mounts deriving from a very early Dutch Gun that are similar to some of the very early Jaegers that George Schumway illustrated in his Articles.

In any event, I would be happy to share whatever might be helpful.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »
I checked with Jim Chambers a couple of months ago on that jaeger book and he doesn't carry it any more. I've been watching for a used one, but no luck so far.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 03:05:18 AM »
and on germanguns.com ?

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 03:16:46 AM »
Jaeger58,
         I will probably be set up right behind Donnie Getz if they keep the tables pretty much the same as the last couple of years.  I will bring along a rather plain later period flint (now converted) Jaeger.  It is a 60 cal. and a really neat little gun, that would be not too hard of a build for a starter.  If you would like to see it and try it on etc. you are welcome to do so.  Just ask Don where my table is. 

Ron  Luckenbill 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard