Author Topic: Long Rifle  (Read 4149 times)

jcjbyrd

Long Rifle
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:19:04 AM »
Several years ago I purchased about a 40 Cal. long rifle with the name E. Loomis stamped on top of barrel.
This rifle has stock of Tiger Maple some Silver inlays and is in pretty good condition. Does any one know of Gun Smith or Mfg. of this rifle. I cannot find any other marking or numbers. I purchased this rifle near Gatlinburg TN.

msmith

Re: Long Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:14:27 AM »
Might be, E. Loomis, Mt. Morris, New York 1870 d. or Earl Loomis (    - 1870d.) South Hamilton NY, Golchester, NY,1823-1860.....(probably the same man).There is nearly a dozen gunsmiths with the last name of Loomis in "American Gunsmiths" by Frank Sellers...Post some pictures,  then  maybe someone on here will be able to tell you more about your rifle...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 01:17:04 AM by msmith »

Randy1944

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 01:02:57 AM »
Pictures sure would be nice.  What about information regarding:  lenth of tang and trigger guard as well as what type of metal were they made from?  What about a patch box?  Fullstock?  I am not aware of a builder in the Gatlinburg area by that name.   Randy from panther branch-boogertown-lower chinquapin & possum holler.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:30:50 AM »
It sounds like an Earl Loomis rifle, but might also be Ephraim Loomis of Mt. Morris, NY. They were not the same man.  I have the five volume set of books THE NEW YORK STATE FIREARMS TRADE , by Swinney/Rowe. There are a number of Earl Loomis' rifles picrured. They all have a a few silver inlays.  If you can post pictures of your rifle, it will be much easier to determine who might have made it.