Author Topic: METAL FINISH  (Read 5440 times)

Offline hortonstn

METAL FINISH
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »
i'm at the point where i have to decide to brown or try to use a cold blue on this lancaster style rifle, i'm building it as a gift for my
27 year old daughter whos a avid hunter. knowing she wouldn't care either way but i will. a little history
on me, i use to blue guns as a hobby with the hot blue salts, but had to sell my equip when we moved into this home without a shop, i'm sure my wife wouldnot appreciate blueing in the basement......
oh well. question is i know browning is the lease maintence, but i've heard you guys talk about a cold blue that looks fine, i do know how to use this stuff but one never knows all the tricks if any one would care to share...their ways,
what do you folks think blue or brown?
thanks paul in missouri (in the snow).........

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: METAL FINISH
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:23:48 AM »
Hortonstn:   If this gun is going to be a "hunter" I would suggest a good durable browning.   I use a damp box to brown in - just a long box with a door and a small grate at the bottom upon which I can set a tin pie plate filled with water.  Under the grate I have a light fixture for a 60 watt bulb which will help evaporate the water while your barrel is hanging above it with the door shut.  I card every day and add more browning solution for about 5 -6 days.  This will give you a very deep browning which is very durable for hunting purposes.   It will also cut down on the dreaded "glare" from a gun barrel which can alert game to your presence.     That's what I would do, ;)       Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline blackdog

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:30:22 AM »
Browning is always a good choice.  I really like Mark Lees express rust blue from Brownells though.  It is easy to use and way more durable than cold blue.  I have had one disaster with it and won't ever use it again.
Ei Savua Ilman Tulta

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 05:43:53 AM »
I've never found a cold blue that wouldn't rust. Might as well brown the barrel, and it will never go blue on ya.

tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 06:04:54 AM »
Brown it. Some of the browns come out darn near black anyway and some of the other guys can probably tell you which ones.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:37:42 AM »
I have come to really appreciate a nicely browned barrel, and that is the finish I chose on my first rifle, also a hunting gun.  You could also rust blue it if you preferred a blue finish.  It is just a couple more steps than browning.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
Cold blueing actually attracts rust.  Some makers use the clorox method for aging , and instant gun blue is put on the spots they want to pit the most before the chlorox is applied. That being said, I antique locks using it. Very mildly to take off the bright new look. Use gives the lock an  even better look. Care and dissipation keeps it from going to far.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »
i'm at the point where i have to decide to brown or try to use a cold blue on this lancaster style rifle, i'm building it as a gift for my
27 year old daughter whos a avid hunter. knowing she wouldn't care either way but i will. a little history
on me, i use to blue guns as a hobby with the hot blue salts, but had to sell my equip when we moved into this home without a shop, i'm sure my wife wouldnot appreciate blueing in the basement......
oh well. question is i know browning is the lease maintence, but i've heard you guys talk about a cold blue that looks fine, i do know how to use this stuff but one never knows all the tricks if any one would care to share...their ways,
what do you folks think blue or brown?
thanks paul in missouri (in the snow).........

If you had a long boil out tank you could rust blue it.
I really like rust blue. Its very tough and it does not involve rusting the bore as hot tank blue does. This is a major PITA that increases all types of bore fouling.
Browning and rust blue (by boiling browned parts) are the most durable with the blue generally being tougher than brown in my experience.
It is possible, I am told, to pour boiling water over a newly browned barrel and turn it blue. But boiling between coats gives the best finish.
Cold blue is a waste of time its, cosmetic and not protective as brown or blue would be.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
thanks it will be browned
paul

greybeard

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 07:04:43 AM »
It's nice to know that most of the members are on my side when it comes to cold blue. It is my opinion that it is O  K in it's place but it hasen't been dug yet.
    60 years ago it was called "touch up" blue for the odd replaced screw or pin etc.
   Maybe I'm just an opinionated A#&% Hole.   bob

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 02:59:54 AM »
It's nice to know that most of the members are on my side when it comes to cold blue. It is my opinion that it is O  K in it's place but it hasen't been dug yet.
    60 years ago it was called "touch up" blue for the odd replaced screw or pin etc.
   Maybe I'm just an opinionated A#&% Hole.   bob

I used cold blue (Oxpho) over a barrel the had most of the brown sanded away. WD 40 and a green scotchbrite pad and I had something that looked like an old gun that had been well used but well cared for. It worked well for this application, but I would not use it for a blued finish.