Author Topic: Southwest VA Blowing Horn  (Read 4951 times)

Jefferson58

Southwest VA Blowing Horn
« on: February 02, 2011, 03:25:46 PM »
In addition to Rick's great horn, here is the result of my efforts at the first annual get together of the Southern Chapter of the HCH.

The rings and tip were taken directly from a SW Virginia original. The horn is about 13.5" around the curve, and 2, 1/8" across the base. It is scraped very thin. The finish is Aqua Fortis and Potassium Permanganate along with my own nicks, scratches, and antiquing. The flat staple is a hammered piece, and will secure a short, single shoulder strap when I am done.

The gathering was quite enjoyable, and everyone learned a ton about Southern blowing horns. Can't wait until next year!

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Southwest VA Blowing Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
 A beauty Jeff, Really nice work.

Tim C.

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 04:38:50 PM »
Beautiful...I must say after seeing a couple of fancy blowing horns here, that all of the old and new [they still use them here] blowing/hunting horns I have seen here in Louisiana have been severely plain.  An old neighbor [nearing 90] gave me a horn that belonged to his grandfather that is huge!  Its only "adornment" is a metal mouthpiece.  I have not measured it but it must be near 2 feet long and has its original leather strap.  I bought a new horn a few years ago that is also plain except for the carved simple mouthpiece. The days of old time fox hunting around here [best exemplified in the Ozarks by the novel Bugle Ann by Kantor] are gone....but some folks still run deer with dogs around here...

Offline Down South

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 02:46:18 AM »
Really fine horn, Jeff.  The finished porduct looks just as good as she sounds.  Great work!

smorrison

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 09:17:42 AM »
Very nice Jeff.

Scott

Jefferson58

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:07:34 PM »
Thanks guys. Glad you like it.

Mike, I agree that a lot of the old horns were plain, just like powder horns. I own two originals, and both are pretty plainly made, and quite large.

It is my understanding that the banded, Southern blowing horn is a pretty rare piece, and I have only seen one original.

Well, off to Kentucky and the Lake Cumberland show.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Gun Butcher

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:15:46 AM »
  Jeff, I really like the banding on this horn. I have up till now kept each band the same but I do like the look of how you did yours. Oh, and a great job on that mouthpiece, very nice turning.
Ron

Mitch

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 09:49:39 PM »
Really nice horn Jeff...... :o

JohnnyM

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 05:46:16 PM »
Hear ye them hounds a singin', answerin' yer call?  What a purty song and horn.

Regards,
Johnny