Author Topic: More Don King Rifle  (Read 13997 times)

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
More Don King Rifle
« on: October 11, 2008, 07:20:28 AM »
These were taken about 1986 when I owned the rifle.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
Re: More Don King Rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 07:57:39 AM »
In the 70's and 80's Don KIng was one of the very best and even today much of his work  is very fine.

Scott Brush

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 07:00:24 PM »
I've owned and hunted with two seperate Don King Hawkens, one half stock percussion and one full stock flint.  The flint was made in 1974, I can't remember when the percussion was made, but both were real shooters and were really well made rifles.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 06:45:54 AM »
I've owned and hunted with two seperate Don King Hawkens, one half stock percussion and one full stock flint.  The flint was made in 1974, I can't remember when the percussion was made, but both were real shooters and were really well made rifles.

I have owned 3 over the years and was fool enough to sell the rifle pictured here that was made for a friend of mine. It was the only .54 kentucky Don made.  I had J. Bairds Big Timber #1 Flint Hawken for a time.
The one I have now has a permanent home.
Don is still living BTW but has done only one Kentucky in the past 20 years or so.

Dan

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 08:45:41 PM »
I never met Don, but I knew his son Mike.  Mike seemed to be more into the leather working aspect of it and also Crow Indian lore.  Mike and Walt Foster gifted me a pair of miniature Crow saddlebags and a small business card pouch made from brain tanned buffalo and trade wool decorated with Crow beads.  I had the opportunity to camp at the Clark's Fork Rendezvous back in the 90's with them.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

wwpete52

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:51:33 PM »
That is one beautiful rifle!

realtorone

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:47:58 AM »
I also have a Don King (Vincent half stock) Don made for me in Wichita in 1971.Don was some maker.His flint Hawkens full stock was something.
I got the opportunity of shooting one in Wichita in 72 or 73.
Hope Don and Eloise are well

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 05:25:49 AM »
Thanks for showing us those photos Dan.  Don is a gifted smith for certain, and it must have been marvelous just to have held that rifle let alone to have owned it.  Fabulous.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »
Thanks for showing us those photos Dan.  Don is a gifted smith for certain, and it must have been marvelous just to have held that rifle let alone to have owned it.  Fabulous.

I killed several deer with it. Shot it in matches. It shot as good as it looked.
I really regret selling this rifle :'( and a little less John Bairds flint Hawken which I also had at the same time. But when you have bills to pay....
Today I would have made payments to the surgeon... But Don was still making guns then too....
For obvious reasons I hate even thinking about it...
I traded a brand new Shiloh Sharps and $500 for the DK  Hawken I have now and its not going anywhere.

Dan

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 06:32:22 PM »
I also have a Don King (Vincent half stock) Don made for me in Wichita in 1971.Don was some maker.His flint Hawkens full stock was something.
I got the opportunity of shooting one in Wichita in 72 or 73.
Hope Don and Eloise are well

Don and Eloise divorced about  20 years or so back. Unfortunately Eloise developed a brain tumor and passed away some years ago.
Don is still shooting but not doing any gun building. Unfortunately. But he does critique my work and especially in recent years this has been invaluable.

If you have some good pics of the Vincent I would like to see them. We (two mutual friends of Don) are trying to collect pictures Don's work.  We know he made quite a few Vincents since we used to hang around the shop in Big Timber at times and some for Golden Age Arms for resale but few have surfaced.
This is simply an attempt to get some kind of catalog of Don's work and we are really short of Vincents.

Dan

Offline gusd

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:31:35 PM »
Love the engraving on muzzle, bet it keeps those evil spirits out!
Rifle is  a work of art.
Gus

hawknknife

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »
Speaking of Hawkens and John Baird, I have probably the last one John made I got from him before he passed.  It's a heavy .50, 38 inch barrel, weight is 14 pounds..shoots very nice and has enough use and color, it looks like the Kit Carson hawken.  John told me it had a Bill Large barrel...Carl

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:30:48 AM »
A local friend of mine showed me a Don King rifle he owns over the weekend. It's a double-keyed percussion Plains Rifle, but not a Hawken copy. I'd just call it distinctly "Midwestern", and VERY nice. It has a .54 caliber, Bill Large barrel.

Madcaster

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 07:06:17 PM »
 Breathtaking!

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
This was not the only 54 Kentucky he built either. Another acquaintance  has  a 54 too I just saw a month or so ago.
The thing is Don made a lot of guns like this. Another friend just bought the one TOW had on consignment and its a knockout too.
Armstrong style.

Dan

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 06:10:14 AM »
Don King is a highly talented gun maker. Too bad he has changed his focus. The Davis Gun Museum in Claremore, OK has a Bedford rifle made by him, and it is just as fine a piece of art as you will ever see. Next time you are in the area, go see the Museum. King's Bedford rifle is worth the visit on its own.
Dick

realtorone

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 04:32:49 AM »
Yes I would be happy to take photos of the Vincent Don Made for me.
Please send me a message toi realtorone@gulftel.com so that I may reply to you directly.
Tell Don George Hebling says"Hello"
People still ask about him at Friendship.
Starting about 1974 or 75 I would spend time in the booth next to Golden Age Arms in the sheep shed at Friendship and Jim Johnson said he liked my Vincent better than any one Don made for them

George Hebling
Addition 0n 3/24/10
I sent the photos requested by E Mail
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:39:30 PM by realtorone »