Author Topic: rust  (Read 4010 times)

omark

rust
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:14:22 AM »
i see a lot of talk on rust removal. just curious if anyone has tried CLR or naval jelly on gun parts, etc? i never have and wanted to know others results. thanks all.   mark

Offline Longknife

Re: rust
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:00:18 AM »
I have tried naval Jelly. It will leave a "matt" finish. I hear some use NJel to get a "french grey"  appearance...ed
Ed Hamberg

MarkEngraver

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:35:18 AM »
I use Navel Jelly to remove bluing prior to metal prep and engraving. The stuff works good for me. The other nice thing about  N-jelly is it is thick and doesn't go running everywhere so you can use a small artist quality brush to selectively remove bluing from engraving to set it apart and show it off better. Kind of a 2 tone finish, Blued gun with french grayed scroll work.

Mark

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 04:08:07 AM »
I have used this product for quite some time without negative incident. Give it a try and you will be pleased, IMHO ...  http://www.evapo-rust.com/wheretobuyit/ The disclaimer .. I have no connection whatsoever with the company .. Just a great product. Take care .. Bill

camerl2009

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:39 AM »
navel jelly works good on heavy rust i use it when rebluing(you have to babysit the parts and clean them off good)

evapo rust dose about the same
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 05:12:10 AM by camerl2009 »

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:55:37 AM »
I once soaked a pair of locks in naval jelly to help remove the excess rust before trying to take them apart. That was in my very young and inexperienced days. :-[  The springs fell apart in pieces. :(  I would never recommend using it on springs.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

camerl2009

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »
I once soaked a pair of locks in naval jelly to help remove the excess rust before trying to take them apart. That was in my very young and inexperienced days. :-[  The springs fell apart in pieces. :(  I would never recommend using it on springs.

lol like i said you have to babysit the part's

keweenaw

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »
Naval jelly will kill springs.  You don't baby sit springs in the stuff you just never put them in it.  Now think about this.  If the naval jelly is going deep enough into the grain structure of the spring to kill it, it is also penetrating into the structure of other steel components.  I never use it on anything.  If I'm  refinishing something I'm going to be repolishing it anyway and never saw much advantage in not just hitting it with the abrasive paper to start with.  If I just want to take off a worn blue, a 10%HCl solution or a 50% Acetic acid solution will do it with a few swipes on a rag.

Tom

omark

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 07:24:17 PM »
thank you guys very much, i certainly would not have considered it damaging springs.   mark