Author Topic: stock blanks  (Read 3363 times)

jeager58

stock blanks
« on: February 04, 2011, 01:18:05 AM »
I know that plain sawn stocks are supposed to be stronger and quarter sawn stocks will show more figuring of the wood. so here is my question. In flooring , quarter sawn lumber is more stable with change in humidity. does that go for stocks too.
If you were to use a walnut stock would you go with quarter or plain sawn.
thanks for your input......phil

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: stock blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 02:51:43 AM »
I don't pay too much attention to 1/4 or slab sawn stocks. I am more concerned about the hardness of the wood and the grain flow through the wrist. I definately won't pay more for a 1/4 sawn stock.
 As far as shrinkage goes 1/4 sawn will shrink on the sides and slab will shrink on the top and bottom .
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:59:14 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 02:53:40 AM »
If given a choice I would go with quarter every time. Not only for stability, but for figure on both sides. I have seen straight sawed stocks that had figure on one side and almost none on the other. Just pay close attention to the grain through the wrist.

Old Salt

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:04:01 AM »
  "Wood is quarter-sawd when the angular rings form an angle of more than 45 degrees with the surface of the board.  It is more difficult and expensive to do but it produces lumber that swells and shrinks less in width and is not likely to warp."  

That is taken from the book "Modern Carpentry" by Willis H. Wagner.

Quarter-sawd wood is always more stable due to the cut.  It works on all wood and all applications.

According to the book the term edge-grain is used for softwood and quarter-sawd for hardwood.            
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 03:10:03 AM by Old Salt »

northmn

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:14:17 AM »
At one time most stocks were advertised as quarter sawn.  Due to what I think is popularity and such both types are now used.  As to shrinkage, a good stok blank should be shrunk when you get it as they advertise them dried to 6-8%, which is about as dry as they can get them.  I can only agree with Mike on the fact that there are other concerns more important in picking a stock than worrying about whether it is quater sawn or plain sawn.  Some like the figure of plain sawed blanks better.  The primary concern on warpage in a plain sawn plank is that it warps away from the center.  After finishing a gun stock is far from a plank.

DP

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 04:46:57 AM »
Just looked at a tree on our family farm that I am thinking of cutting and having sawn into planks for gunstocks. This is a red maple that was damaged when the area was timbered a few years ago. There is an area near the base where the bark was knocked off revealing a really nice curl in the grain. This tree also has acouple bends in it that I think would make the grain direction great for gunstock blanks. I plan to take it down this winter and see if it is sound and if so have it sawn. I know it will have to season for a while but I'm in no hurry.
 Does any one have any insight on how to instruct the sawyer or other things I might consider?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 05:21:33 AM »
I know that plain sawn stocks are supposed to be stronger and quarter sawn stocks will show more figuring of the wood. so here is my question. In flooring , quarter sawn lumber is more stable with change in humidity. does that go for stocks too.
If you were to use a walnut stock would you go with quarter or plain sawn.
thanks for your input......phil

I just got in 2 "plain" cut and 1  1/4 sawn hard maple. I have not seem the 3rd plain cut yet.
The ones here are going to have good to outstanding curl near as I can tell.
Plain cut is for some rifles with long heavy barrels 1 1/4" by 44-45 inches.
We wanted the wrist strength. 14-16 pound guns can be very hard on wrists and buttstocks.

Dan.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine