Author Topic: Range Report  (Read 7641 times)

FRJ

Range Report
« on: February 04, 2011, 02:57:13 AM »
A few days ago I ran out of Hoppes #9 plus and couldn't find any at the local gun stores or at Track Or The Wolf.I noticed some windshield washer fluid near the gun counter in one of the stores and figured what the heck. Just got done shooting about 30 shots using the fluid and it worked great!!!!!Never had to clean the rifle, it loaded better that when using  the Hoppes and cleaned much easier than when using the Hoppes. At $3.50 a gallon I'll be using a lot of this stuff for target shooting. Now I have to  come up with something for a hunting load.Another thing is that accuracy was better than with the Hoppes. I always liked the  Hoppes but I'm sure glad I ran out!!!! Frank

northmn

Re: Range Report
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 03:19:37 AM »
There is a lot of alchemy involved on patch lubes.  Most is for target shooting where you shoot and load several shots in a row.  Winshield washer is a common one.  It does not work for a deer or squirrel hunting load where you carry the gun loaded for some time.  Most bench type shooting lubes also work as cleaners.  I have some green stuff in a spray bottle that I use a lot for cleaning if I do not shoot a lot of shots.  Works really good on locks and exterior surfaces also.  In the winter at least the automotive winshield washers and antifreeze do not freeze.

DP

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:27 AM »
FRJ,   you may have already made a note of it, but all windshield washer fluids aren't created equal.   Some jugs say they're good down to 32 degrees, some down to -10 or -15 degrees.  It's no doubt just a matter of alcohol content, but you since you're having good results with a jug, you might pay attention to what you're using so you can get the same stuff again when it's time to re-stock.

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 03:56:09 AM »
Sounds good, FJR.  I also liked Hoppe's #9 Plus, but noticed virtually identical loading qualities, however it did require more powder - probably due to being slipperier.

There are some with Teflon in it and others straight alcohol/water/dye mixes.  I don't use the teflon WWWF mid in my rifles.   Here, the government fee on alcohol and subsequent price makes the alcohol expensive and the winter windshield washer fluid a good buy - we pay $4.00 per gallon or 4 litres, whichever it is.  I use --34 or -45 stuff and pour in a few ounces of Neetsfoot oil in the gallon. Probably not needed, but that's what I do.

For hunting, few shots are fired, I use Neetsfoot oil or Track's Mink Oil.

I have never found any oil to shoot as well, nor to the same point of impact nor at the same velocity as a water based lube - in the smaller calibres, ie; .32 through my .58's.  In my.69, it seems to mater not what lube is used.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:00:50 AM by Daryl »

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 03:58:52 AM »
I think I will give this stuff a try sometime......any brands you guys have tried that seems better than others?

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »
I suspect much of what we use, if probably made right here, in Canada.  Blue Thunder, -35F- is made in Canada- 4 Liters, while Turbo (Turbo gas stations), also a -35 F fluid at 3.78 Liters is probably 4 US quarts and made in the States.
I suspect Shell Oil, Sunoco and Esso might have their own brand WWWFluids. 

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
I gather, then, it is used pretty much "as is" (except for the neatsfoot oil)?  Is there anything in them to be wary of or are they pretty much the same?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 08:52:01 PM »
There is also low temp ie: -35 to -45 fluid with teflon or other additives in it - that I use only in the truck.  I've used Olive Oil and Neetsfoot oil added to my WWWF, even a liquid soap, but stopped the soap - isn't needed - Taylor puts in Murphys in his WWWF as well, but some guys have trouble with Murphys - maybe looser combinations. He gets no 'brown' deposits - perfectly clean barrel with cold water cleaning - no added soap, either.  LB puts some odd soaps and other stuff in his WWWF - works for him.

The oil isn't needed either, BTW, but I like it's slightly more slippery feel, I guess. I give the bottle a shake before pouring it over my patches (in a tin), let them soak for a while until saturated, then pour off the excess, squeezing them slightly, not much. I like WET patches.  I use a Sucret's tin, or other metal candy tin. I've used Speer plastic bullet boxes, smaller sizes, but prefer the tins. The yellow plastic box is kind of hard on the eyes.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:31:36 PM by Daryl »

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 04:59:05 AM »
Wow!  Now there's another use for alcohol as "group tightener".    Seriously, though, why is there an extra gov't fee on alcohol in Canada?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Macon Due

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 05:11:30 AM »
Hi.....I have a question if someone would care to help ?
I have been away from muzzle loaders for many years and have a question about Hoppes #9+. I have always preferred to cut my patches at the muzzle [useing blue denim] and used Hodgdons 'Spit Patch'  can I use Hoppes #9+ the same way or is it a "soak precut patches" deal?
Thank you.....Macon

Daryl

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
 - Hoppe's 9 Plus is/was my second favourite lube - when I ran out of LHV, that's hway I used and like it very much- almost as accurate as LehighValley Lube.

In my very accurate, 40 and .45 rifles, both of those lubes required a bit more powder than straight water and alcohol based lubes.  In the end, Hoppe's turned in groups comparable to spit - which is really saying something - (for those who know how accurate spit actually is, eh Roger ;).)

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:43:31 PM »
Macon, I use hoppes 9+ and cut at the muzzle with good results.  I hang a strip of pillow ticking from my bag and wet the end with the hoppes before each loading.  It tends to dry out between shots when out in the air like this so wetting the whole strip at the begining does not work well.  Like daryl says get the patch dripping wet.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 07:46:13 PM by Scott Bumpus »
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Al Lapp

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 02:54:56 AM »
Hope i'm not getting to far off the subject. But for patch containers I have a friend that chews snuff. He gave me a couple of tins, I took the labels off with WD40 and burned the lid with a torch. Looks pretty good.   Al

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 07:37:53 PM »
We mostly use pre-cuts, pre-lubed and stored inside the bag in small hinded tin boxes. Track sells a couple boxes that work well - the oval snuff or tinder box, brass of German silver with the hinge on the end, as well as the oval brass or German silver with the hinge 1" from one end also works well.  I have both and they both work well.

The also make good 'blanket prizes and are only around $30.00 - $10.00 to $15.00 over the 'usual' value of a blanket prize. One of those and a hawk handle makes a good prize.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 03:52:58 AM »
- Hoppe's 9 Plus is/was my second favourite lube - when I ran out of LHV, that's hway I used and like it very much- almost as accurate as LehighValley Lube.

In my very accurate, 40 and .45 rifles, both of those lubes required a bit more powder than straight water and alcohol based lubes.  In the end, Hoppe's turned in groups comparable to spit - which is really saying something - (for those who know how accurate spit actually is, eh Roger ;).)
Yes, cheap and handy; but you can't chinze on the powder and patch thickness ::)

Harnic

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 05:11:09 AM »
I'm a committed Hoppes 9+ user.  Works pretty well in my GM 50.  I am now rebarreling with a Rice 58 cal & plan to continue using 9+ unless there are any problems, which I don't expect.  It's very good lube & quite economical too.

Daryl

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »
If you can get it. Here in PG, the distributor/salesman from Calwells who delivers Hoppe's products to the stores, says Hoppe's does not make anything called Hoppe's #9 plus - never did, nor do they make any black powder solvent - never did - they only make Hoppe's #9 for modern guns - then added, that will probably work.

I even showed him an empty bottle and he maintained ignorance - which is the correct wording here, in both ways - true meaning as well.  He then said if they didn't have it, it wasn't worth stocking. Oh well.

Guess I could order some from Wholesale Sports in Kalmoops(through Calgary). I do like it (almost as accurate as LHV) and wonder if a couple quarts would make it here unbroken?

Harnic

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05:23 PM »
Caldwells have always been very much in the dark Daryl.  They were a sadly deficient wholesaler when I was in the trade 30 years ago & obviously they still are.  I can grab you a couple pints next time I'm in Kamloops if you'd like & fire them off to you.  I should be up & around early next month & need some 2f for my new Rice 58 cal barrel.

Flinter

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:59:49 AM »
There is a lot of alchemy involved on patch lubes.  Most is for target shooting where you shoot and load several shots in a row.  Winshield washer is a common one.  It does not work for a deer or squirrel hunting load where you carry the gun loaded for some time.  Most bench type shooting lubes also work as cleaners.  I have some green stuff in a spray bottle that I use a lot for cleaning if I do not shoot a lot of shots.  Works really good on locks and exterior surfaces also.  In the winter at least the automotive winshield washers and antifreeze do not freeze.

DP

Why is this DP? Will it form a rust ring inside the barrel where the patched ball sets on top of the powder?

Mike

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »

Why is this DP? Will it form a rust ring inside the barrel where the patched ball sets on top of the powder?

Mike

Exactly - WWWF is a water and alcohol fluid - when the alcohol evapourates out of the water, you are left with water. Spit will do the same thing - cause rust. You need an non-rusting oil or grease as a patch lube for hunting. Be aware that poi can change as well as accuracy, and oils and greases sometimes require different loads to shoot accurately.