Author Topic: Barrel rebore  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Longknife

Barrel rebore
« on: October 11, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
I just aquired an original late half stock perc. rifle-minus the lock. No name or makers marks anywhere. The stock is in really sound condition, although someone gave it a thick coat of varnish. This gun really deserves a new lease on life!!! I plan on a tatal rehab. I have a L&R Leman lock that fits like a glove (after a little wood removal). The barrel is quite long for a half stock, 42 inches and about .950 at breech with a very slight swamp, .34 or so. There is evidence that while on this gun the barrel was shortend about two inches at the breech. Also there is a filled dove tail that indicates it might have been on a previous gun. Any how, with a new lock and finish I might as well have it rebored and rifled and make it a shooter, any body on this board want to do that or recommend someone who does??? I had one done by Hoyt years ago, is he still in business???? Thanks...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline LynnC

Re: Barrel rebore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 05:30:15 PM »
Is there any rifling left?  This may be a candidate for freshing out.  Lots of info here on how to do it.

check Gary Brumfields site (flintriflesmith) for some info on freshening out.  Gary was a big help to me on my first one.....................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »
Of course you may end up with a 35, 36 or 37 cal. when your done depending on how much cutting is required to clean up the bore.  On that first one I think it started out around 33 cal and ended with a 36.....................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
Bobby is still in business, but I read a while back that he was injured on one of his machines, so you might want to contact him to see if he is back to work yet.

Frank
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:55:20 PM by Fullstock »

Dave K

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 11:33:14 PM »
Before removing any wood, see if working on the lock is possible. I have refit some new locks to old guns by removing metal and even adding metal to the new lock plate, because I didn't want to alter the stock. You may even consider having the barrel lined, to retain the orginal bore size. I have the old family gun, and this is what I would like to do barrel, so I can also still use the original mold that came with the gun.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:47:45 PM »
Ed,
I am sure Ed Rayl would do that for you. A friend of mine had him do an original barrel for him and it looked great. Ed will be at the Winchester VA show the first weekend in Nov. Take it with you and talk with him about it.

If you haven't been to that show you need to take it in. Pretty nice show.

Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 03:54:11 AM »
Second Dennis' recommendation on Ed Rayle! Ed is outstanding with this type of work. Very reasonable in price, also!

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 05:50:12 AM »
Ed,
I have to agree with Dave K. Make the new parts fit the original ones, not the other way around. Also, freshing the barrel would certainly be the least intrusive with an original gun, if there is enough rifling left to work with.