Author Topic: Breech plug removal  (Read 5659 times)

mlr1m

Breech plug removal
« on: February 04, 2011, 07:11:30 AM »
Recieved my new Chambers lancaster kit this week. What is the best and safest way to remove the breech plug on a swamped barrel?

Michael

Scott Semmel

Re: Breech plug removal
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:01:43 AM »
If you have a standard vise you will need to make shims to give you contact for the width of the vises jaws. Planeing oak sock to match the swamp works OK. place in vise a couple of inches past plug so vise is not putting pressure on plug threads, an justable wrench is a common tool to turn the plug some folks use brass sheet to line the jaws of the wrench so as to not mar plug. I use a simple plug wrench made out of 1/2 inch mild steel don't have the instructions for making one handy if interested email me. I am assuming you are talking about your new barrel, getting a plug out that has been in there a while is often preceded by a long soak in penetrating oil.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:19:28 AM »
You can use aluminum , at least 1/8" thick for shims on your vise - also in the jaws of your adjustable  wrench for the breech plug.  I prefer metal shims over hardwood shims as they give a better "hold" on your barrel.   You can also try a little heat with a propane torch but DO NOT go beyond boiling temp.  Hope that helps,      Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 08:24:31 AM »
    Unscrew it is the best way. ;D ;D  What Scott or Blacksmoke said or line vise jaws with thick leather.    Good Luck    AL
Alan K. Merrill

California Kid

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:04:08 AM »
Good Luck, AL

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 03:26:53 PM »
Make sure to always put the wrench on the lower side of the plug extension so you don't bugger up the tang.

jeager58

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 04:56:06 PM »
and one more thing to remember is most vices have a slip resistant jaw so you need to protect your barrel. cover your jaws then shim then unscrew.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
Michael,

Welcome to ALR.  I had similar questions when I received my first barrel.  I used an old large Stillson pipe wrench with brass liners on the jaws.  The taper on the jaws matched the taper on the lug when attacking it from the bottom.

Once out, I thinly coated the threads with a mixture of powdered graphite and petroleum jelly, as recommended in Shumway's Recreating the American Longrifle.  Made subsequent removals much easier.

Good luck, Bill

mlr1m

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 01:43:15 AM »
I finally got access to a bench vice but no joy. I haver remover breechplugs on other flintlocks before but this one does not want to budge. Is there a trick to these rice barrels I'm not aware of? I dont not want to mess this up.

Michael

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:07:07 AM »
Michael:  Have you tried a little heat yet?  Heating to the boiling point won't hurt anything - it can only do good things for you such as loosing the barrel threads.   ;)   Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 02:54:40 AM »
I finally got access to a bench vice but no joy. I haver remover breechplugs on other flintlocks before but this one does not want to budge. Is there a trick to these rice barrels I'm not aware of? I dont not want to mess this up.

Michael

Lefty losey, righty tighty, 'cause I have known folks who forgot which way is which.

Another thought, grip the breech of the barrel far enough from the breech so's the vise doesn't clamp on the threads, locking the plug in place.

coutios

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 05:16:32 AM »
  No luck yet???  Some of those things can be a bit trying..  Here's how I do it...
1)  secure the barrel in the vise making sure to shim for a good fit and not pinching the threads... Tighten well ... I position the barrel ( horizontal )  so I can pull up to lossen..

2) I use a 15 inch Cresent.. If your using a small one your swiming up stream. Make sure you position the wrench as not to damage the upper portion of the tang. Tighten wrench...

3) I use a quick upward motion. Usually only takes one or two pops and the plug will turn out...

Keep us posted.  P.S..   Have a friend sit on the bench if it's to light...

Regards
Dave

hoochiepapa

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 05:22:51 AM »
If all else fails, put the barrel in your vise so that you can push down to loosen, put your crescent wrench on the plug, and smack with either a rawhide mallet or rubber dead blow.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:11 AM »
I had the same problems with my first Rice barrel. The stinson wrench worked the best. I got a 18" one on e-bay that looks to be a 100 years old. I lined the jaws with brass and secured the barrel in my 8" bench vice with brass shims. I did have to give it a good snap to break it loose. You will have to use the same process including the snap to get it back into the witness marks. It is a lot easier after the first time. Just like all good things in life. I think these same guys helped me. They give good sound advice. We just need to be sharp enough to follow it. Bob