Author Topic: Looking for better way of getting sear spring screw in on a Round Faced Colonial  (Read 5357 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
If I had instructions on how to best get the screw in place on a Round Faced Chambers Colonial lock I miss-placed them. In order for me to get the sear spring in place I have to leave the screw loose then slip the spring in place. When I get the bridle in place I can't tighten the sear spring screw very tight due to the bridle being in the way. Got to be a easier way!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

jlynn

Sir  It has been several years ago, but I think that I finally took a hacksaw and cut the projection on rhe bridle off so that I could reach the screw with a screwdriver.  I hope that I am referring to the same problem that you are.  I would go and check but I amrecovering fro surgery and cannot. Hope this helps.

Offline frogwalking

Jim has a simple way to do this, but I too lost the instructions.  I ground off the projection on the grind stone and the problem went away.  (It is not as pretty now as it was, however.)  At my age, simple trumps pretty.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline PIKELAKE

Jim Chambers posted how to do that sometime ago and I believe he mentioned why it was not a good idea to tamper with the bridle. I tried to search the archives and have struck out. I just can't remember his instructions. If he posts I better write it down. Just have no memory anymore. I have about six of those locks but haven't take one apart in a while.      JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Sir  It has been several years ago, but I think that I finally took a hacksaw and cut the projection on rhe bridle off so that I could reach the screw with a screwdriver.  I hope that I am referring to the same problem that you are.  I would go and check but I amrecovering fro surgery and cannot. Hope this helps.
That's the problem and I thought Jim posted instructions or either they were in the bag with the lock. The instructions I had in the bag that came with the lock doesn't mention how to do it. I too tried to find it on ALR and couldn't locate it. I seemed to remember to loosen bridle screws and swing out of way but I can't seem to get the hang of it!.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
I'll go out to the shop tonight to check but I think I put the sear spring in loose, and rotate the spring up away from the sear.  Then I put the bridle with the sear on with the sear screw in a couple turns so I can keep the bridle out of the way.  Then tighten the sear sprin screw, then the bridle screw goes in then tighten the sear screw.  Something like that.  Key is to get the spring screw started and the sear screw started with the spring out of the way.  I'll check back after supper.

Offline Jim Chambers

A pox on all you guys who cut off part of the bridle.  The old English lock makers will send little devils to pis_ in your touch hole if you do that.
Here's the way to remove/install the sear spring one more time.
First, remove the bridle screw completely.
Unscrew the sear screw just enough to allow the bridle to be lifted off the small tumbler axle and swiveled to one side.
This exposes the sear spring screw for easy removal.
To reassemble install the tumbler, bridle and sear.
Install the sear screw but leave it loose enough to swivel the bridle to one side.
Install the sear spring and screw.
Swivel the bridle over and down on the tumbler and install the bridle screw.
It really is simple once you understand how the English did this, and there is no need to deface the bridle that was so nicely designed by them 200 plus years ago.

Online smylee grouch

Sounds like I'm gonna hafta get a replacement if I want my priming to stay dry.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
A pox on all you guys who cut off part of the bridle.  The old English lock makers will send little devils to pis_ in your touch hole if you do that.
Here's the way to remove/install the sear spring one more time.
First, remove the bridle screw completely.
Unscrew the sear screw just enough to allow the bridle to be lifted off the small tumbler axle and swiveled to one side.
This exposes the sear spring screw for easy removal.
To reassemble install the tumbler, bridle and sear.
Install the sear screw but leave it loose enough to swivel the bridle to one side.
Install the sear spring and screw.
Swivel the bridle over and down on the tumbler and install the bridle screw.
It really is simple once you understand how the English did this, and there is no need to deface the bridle that was so nicely designed by them 200 plus years ago.
Jim, thanks. I figured that had to be the way but for some reason I couldn't get er' done like that! I will pull it apart and do it again. Maybe I was just all thumbs last night. Used to working with those late Ketlands!
Dennis

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
Getting the sear spring screw in and out is a little strange to start with but after I had done it a few times it is very simple to do. Now I much prefer this method and I think it denotes to the quality of the lock.

Jim I would like to say a big thank you for your efforts to bring us good quality locks. I have used most brands of locks available and your locks heads above the others.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Jim Chambers

Bama,
Many thanks for the complement on our locks.  We try.
Don't know if any of you guys have heard this, but beginning Jan. 1 of this year we started sending out all of our flintlocks with a flint properly installed  and the lock tested for sparks and for overall function.  I have already trained most of my lock assemblers to do this, and on some locks I personally install and test each lock.  Hopefully, this will enable us to catch those few locks that were getting out that did not perform up to our expected standards.  Yes, the lock will arrive with a few scratch marks on the face of the frizzen.  I hope no one finds that objectionable.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Thanks Jim, I think that is a great way to help QA and to instill consumer confidence. May answer a lot of questions about flint size and orientation too.... :o   ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming