Author Topic: Proper tools for the Job  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Dave B

Proper tools for the Job
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
I was cruzin through one of our esteemed members web sites and saw some thing that was very helpful. I remembered years ago that this measuring tool was mentioned and I had forgotten all about it but Ron Scott has reminded me of it. The question was related to Ron Elert about how did you know when your patch box cavity was big enough. Here is how you know
http://gallery.me.com/ronscott#100569/DSC_2769&bgcolor=black
I think every builder of the Jaeger Rifle should make sure to have this handy tool available  ::) ;D
Dave Blaisdell

giffguns

Re: Proper tools for the Job
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:31:56 PM »
Yep That looks just about right....maybe a little more off the sides...we don't want it to get stuck if the wood gets wet. ;D ;D ;D

omark

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:19:33 PM »
ive had several of those gauges, just cant seem to find one when i need it.        mark

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
OH, I've been using the wrong one! Been makin' it fit the Mini "Fun Size" ones. Geez, no wonder......
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline bgf

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »
One little trick -- if your PB cavity is just a little small, put the rifle and gauge in the sun for a while, and it will slide right in.  As long as the whole gauge fits, I've never seen it specified whether it should be solid or semi-liquid.

Offline whitebear

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
As my mother used to say "I'm fixin to skin my ignorance" but I have looked at this post several times and have not yet detected any kind of gauge.  Can someone enlighten me?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 05:09:14 PM »
As my mother used to say "I'm fixin to skin my ignorance" but I have looked at this post several times and have not yet detected any kind of gauge.  Can someone enlighten me?

When you find it, "it'll satisfy" you querry.  ;)
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 05:11:20 PM »
I am sorry for it but this must have turn out to be an in side joke for some.The late Ron Elert Was known for his fine Jaeger rifles and maybe not so well as having the solution to the question of how big to make the cavity of the patch box. He championed the use of the Snickers chocolate bar as the perfect determining factor. Your patch box is the correct size when you can put a snickers bar in it and close the lid. I am not sure if the custom is original to him or he got it from someone else but it is now a standard of measure (tool gauge) I will all ways consider when I make my patch box cavities on my Jaeger rifles.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 05:59:14 PM »

When you find it, "it'll satisfy" you querry.  ;)

I'm "snickerin" with laughter at this absurd question....

burnsranch

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »
was that the old snicker bar, or the new 15% bigger one at twice the price?

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 07:21:10 PM »
I hate it when they go to changin' the standards.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 07:56:24 PM »
Dave
Great post!!

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline whitebear

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
DaveB thanks for the answer but several of these people better not quit there day jobs as there just is no positions open for a person telling corny jokes.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 10:38:08 PM »
DaveB thanks for the answer but several of these people better not quit there day jobs as there just is no positions open for a person telling corny jokes.

Perhaps if remove the stick from your backside you'd learn how to laugh a little ... sheesh ...  >:(
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:11:31 AM »
Collin Green, provided the measuring device as well as the rifle in progress.  It is, by the way, a Rifle he started several years ago in Ron Ehlerts class and continued working on in last years Jaeger Rifle class in Bowling Green.
He will be pleased to know his work made it to this site!

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
I don't care WHO you are,that's funny! ;D Ron is sure missed!
Whitebear,you need to appreciate the humor that is part of the longrifle culture. In my many years of hanging around this lifestyle,I have met some of the most intelligent men both in and out of academia,and 99% of the jokes really need to be studied,and you need a deep understanding of building guns for them to be funny,even then sometimes it's tough! ??? Dry is the word that best describes it.

Example: A good Friend of mine(a hospital lab scientist) and I were out on a primitive trekk last fall when he cooked a sausage for lunch on a stick.When he reached out for it,he burnt his finger as little. I asked Him"Did you go to college?",He said "Yeah,why?" "You didn't know that would be hot?",He replied"Not THAT hot",I replied"OH,Community College!"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 04:23:12 PM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!