Author Topic: Antique rifle shipment  (Read 938 times)

Offline flatsguide

Antique rifle shipment
« on: July 04, 2023, 03:51:18 AM »
There is a SxS rifle in England that I’d like to bid on but would like to first hear from people with first hand knowledge of the hoops to jump through and how much trouble was involved in the shipment of an antique rifle (1850) into my hands in the USA.
Thank you, Richard

Offline Mattox Forge

Re: Antique rifle shipment
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 04:10:39 AM »
Richard,

PM me, I have had experience this year and last with an exporting firm who have done very well for me. I have won auctions from both Holts and Anthony Cribb in the last two years.

Mike

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 05:45:18 PM »
I bought an antique pistol a few months ago from England and the shipping quote was over $350.. So I emailed  the seller and told him if he would put it on sale and he ship it free I would take it. He agreed and sent it to me but it took him about two months to get it to me..He used PAR freight and they handled it well. All the paperwork was handled by the seller

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 05:55:55 PM »
Mike,thank you! PM on the way.

Now..., Thanks, was it an individual seller or auction house? Also I don’t quite understand what you mean by “put it on sale”.

Thanks guys.
Cheers Richard

Offline ntqlvr1948

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 06:00:01 PM »
It was an individual seller who has a website. What I meant to him was take off the shipping hence it was like a sale price.  You won't get away with free shipping from an auction house

Offline lexington1

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2023, 07:58:08 PM »
I have had mixed experiences with getting antiques sent from the UK. I got a Brown Bess from Michael D Long and it came within three days of purchasing, a veritable record for me. Another one took about three weeks, and a Marine/Militia musket took about four months during the Covid period.