Author Topic: Restoring / repairing Originals  (Read 3043 times)

Offline Dave B

Restoring / repairing Originals
« on: February 05, 2011, 09:42:40 PM »
I have noticed that on several of the basket case rifles I have worked on that the screws when removed pull out the decayed wood that was puchased by the screw so when you put the screw back into that same hole there is no more wood to grab. I have always just taken some shims of the same type of wood and glued them in place to reconstitute the purchase of the screw. Is there a better way to go about this?
Dave Blaisdell

doug

Re: Restoring / repairing Originals
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:46:12 PM »
    assuming it is buried so that you cannot see the replacement, I drill the hole out clean and straight sided, then glue a plug in.

cheers Doug

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:26 PM »
There is  nothing wrong on gluing and plugging screw holes on originals such has the trigger guard and butt plate .This also applies to screws which have had the head sheared off this will take a much larger hole to remove the broken tail of the screw but it still can be plug ed.It is a bigger problem replacing these screws because most are hand made and engraved
It must be remembered that when restoration takes place is not to take it too far a gun that is 100 to 200 years old must look its age and not something that looks like new and  just of the shelf.If a restorer keeps this in his mind and if in any doubt leave it be.
Feltwad
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 11:25:25 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 12:28:13 AM »
What has already been said, but I would add to use a proper plug and not a dowel as the filler.  a proper set of plug cutters allow you to cut wood plugs of the same type wood and grain, and with a good wood glue it becomes an invisible, and clean job.   The plug cutters can allow you to go oversize, which facilitates good purchase by the screw, and no interference with the screw threads, and the plug joint.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Plug cutters, I had never thought of that. It does make sense to do it that way.  I will have to look into this type of repair.  Thanks for your suggestions.
Dave
Dave Blaisdell