Author Topic: My next build  (Read 6421 times)

greybeard

My next build
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:42:12 AM »
Hello Gents;  I have talked myself into doing another rifle gun. I have ordered a Reedy stock from David Krek along with  B weight .50 + 38 colerain barrel ,but plate ,trigger guard and a Chambers late Ketland flint lock.  While awaiting for the order to arrive I have made the double lever set triggers. I like Reedy style guns so this will be my first build where I will try to copy the style of a particular maker.

I'm actually starting to get a bit excited. Wish me luck with this new build.  Bob

Offline whitebear

Re: My next build
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:45:40 AM »
Wishing you the very best of luck.
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:32:44 AM »
Nicely done and very interesting how you did the springs, especially on the front trigger.  Are they your own design?  Can you give us some pics of those springs by themselves?  Thanks for sharing.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

greybeard

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:59:45 AM »
I will take a couple of spring pics tomorrow.There kinda ugly but work well
Bob

RwBeV

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 02:01:14 PM »
Nice you can make triggers for me anytime

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of the feather spring for the front trigger.. So I told you they are ugly but they work a treat

It's made from a hacksaw blade (hard to anneal). I only temper the front half as the rest is just sitting on the plate. Lotsa fun!!    Bob

Offline Glenn

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
Good luck with the new build Bob ... Please keep us posted on your progress.  ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:55:23 PM »
Hello Greybeard,
Nice job on the double set triggers!
Have you tried annealing with your BBQ?

Large diameter steel plumber pipe with end caps putting your spring in the pipe, then slowly cooling down.
It works well.
I prefer charcol BBQ over Gas, but they both work well.
I forgot to mention, if you put silica sand in the pipe it gives a better annealing job ( center spring in center of sand )
You can also throw a steak on too!
Old Ford
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:45:13 PM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

greybeard

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:47 PM »
Thanks for the tips Old Ford.  Doin that would be considered "Good Time Management"  LOL.   Bob

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:08 AM »
Asking out of total ignorance of Reedy details......Are these triggers typical of those he made?
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

greybeard

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 06:05:29 AM »
Hi Tim;   The back trigger is cerrently a bit longer than need be and will be altered when I get the guard.   Much easier to take a little off than try and add some.  The plan is to build in the style of Reedy or Berks county. I would never assume to make a bench copy. A person should never become anal about "bench copy" as I don't think even Reedy could do a bench copy of one of his own guns.  There must be some minor differences.   We must remember that they are one at a time builds and I notice that even the engraveng differs from gun to gun and if he were to make his own triggers I'm sure there were minor differences from one set to another.  As I said "In the style of Leonard Reedy" and in hindsight ,perhaps I should have said "Berks County"
thanks to all who responded.    Cheers    Bob

camerl2009

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:27 AM »
Hello Greybeard,
Nice job on the double set triggers!
Have you tried annealing with your BBQ?

Large diameter steel plumber pipe with end caps putting your spring in the pipe, then slowly cooling down.
It works well.
I prefer charcol BBQ over Gas, but they both work well.
I forgot to mention, if you put silica sand in the pipe it gives a better annealing job ( center spring in center of sand )
You can also throw a steak on too!
Old Ford

make sure that its not galvanized pipe the fumes from it will kill you
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 06:35:47 AM by camerl2009 »

greybeard

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 06:48:28 AM »
Good advice Cam.    Bob