Author Topic: Finished engraving a buttplate  (Read 2847 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Finished engraving a buttplate
« on: February 06, 2011, 08:44:26 PM »
Hi Folks,
I posted a photo earlier of this buttplate engraving in progress.  It is for an early 17th century fowling gun.  During that time, decoration of firearms and other objects often included symbols and objects that were allegorical and told stories.  That was especially true in a style called "mannerist".  My buttplate is supposed to represent a transition in art from 16th century mannerist to 17th century Baroque.  As such it tells a story through obscure symbolism but the figures are realistic (not distorted as in mannerism) and shown with dramatic, almost theatrical shading.  The soldier or musketeer represents strength, ambition, and glory.  The pretty woman's portrait represents achievements, treasure, objects to be acquired during life.  The soldier looks alarmed because he is facing death, something suggested by the skull.  The message: despite our achievements and glory, death wins out in the end.  This was a common parable used in the 16th century.  Because the design is French, the story ends with a happy note.  The winking "greenman" at the bottom indicates that after death there is rebirth and regeneration.   I hope you enjoy the photo.  It was fun to engrave and telling a story made it even more so.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Finished engraving a buttplate
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »
Really cool work Dave. The shading really makes it pop.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:49:12 PM »
Hi,
I added a few more close-up photos so you can see the details (for better or worse).

dave

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:29:04 PM »
Dave: Do you use something like a bent line graver for the shading cuts? And if not what do you use?  It looks great by the way.   Gary

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 04:09:06 AM »
Hi Gary,
I don't use a liner.  Each line is done one at a time.  It goes pretty fast in a repetitious mind numbing sort of way.

dave