Author Topic: Engraver Practice Blanks  (Read 3628 times)

tuffy

Engraver Practice Blanks
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:28:40 PM »
Where can I purchase engraving practice blanks in steel and brass? Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Engraver Practice Blanks
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:32:09 PM »
I think you can buy sheet brass from most Muzzleloader supply shops and then cut the size you want to work with. I have done that and then engraved both sides and then bent then into shadders for the front and rear sights.   Gary

Berks Liberty

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 12:54:28 AM »
Where can I purchase engraving practice blanks in steel and brass? Thanks in advance for your input.

While at Dixon's, Mike Timberlake does a great job of showing his technique.  He said he'll go to Lowe's and buys a brass kick plate for a door.  they are about...what three feet or less? He'll cut them into multiple strips.  It works and you get a few pieces in one shot. 

Jason

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:26:42 AM »
I use nail guards as practice plates. These are small pieces of steel that are used in construction. They are attached to the edge of a stud and they are meant to protect any pipes or wires running through the stud from sheetrock screws. The reason I am explaining all this is so you can describe them and find them at your local builder supply place. They are 1 1/2 inches wide, about 4 or 5 inches long and about 1/16 inch thick.

They are a little harder than the practice plates Brownells sells and way cheaper. They come in packages of 50 around here (eastern NC) and I get them at Lowes. 

Regarding brass, remember that brass kick plates are not all made of solid brass. So ask, or read the package carefully.

Have fun!

Ken Moors

tuffy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 02:48:08 AM »
Thanks, guys. I should be able to find enough brass and steel plates to make out for quite awhile. ;D

camerl2009

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 03:20:44 AM »
a metal supplier  ???  you can get just about any alloy you want  ::)

home depot or a place like that should have steel look around just about anything can be used

i find a good cheap source for copper is copper pipe and fittings