Author Topic: Flintlock accuracy  (Read 23147 times)

JohnnyM

Re: Flintlock accuracy
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:40 PM »
Doulos,

Shooting flintlocks are fun!  Rear sight, front sight, target, FRONT SIGHT.  Focus on the front sight and follow through.  Like any other athletic endeavor, follow through.  Don't think about it too much.  Have fun.

Flintlocks are cool!  Flintlocks look  good!  Rock locks rule!

Regards,
Johnny

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 07:05:27 AM »
I found it easier to achieve superior accuracy with my flinter after I sold off my cappers. ;) It has been 5 yrs now.

In no way do I feel undergunned when on the trail matched up against the cap shooters as it has been my experience that the better shots tend to prefer flint ignition.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 06:55:14 PM »
Tom - I can see your point - not going to happen though.  My .69 is the only gun I have that Taylor built. I cannot afford another.  The DR in .58 actually regulates perfectly and is my current trail walk champion - it is not used to missing any of the targets, rights or lefts or one after the other in fast fire mode.  The stubby little Musketoon won me a second in the only event I used it in last Hefley Rondy, missing 1 target out of 22 then centre-punching my tie-breaker target. They are all dear to my heart but- I could possibly let the Enfield go - maybe.

Offline Dan

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
Y'all could just quit dancin' around the issue and mount a laser on the cock (plastic) and throw away the frizzen. Long as you're not walking and it's not windy you'd probably get a quicker "lock" time.

Next thing ya know, laser lock muzzle loaders could be the darling of the benchrest crowd.  After you get 'em all good and drunk.

;D

Offline Tom Cooper

• Nil Magnum Nise Bonum
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 11:59:03 PM »
Daryl,
None of my cappers were custom built so it was easy to let them go. I must admit if I was lucky enough to happen onto a Taylor built rifle in cap configuration I would be hard pressed to turn it loose. I had many issues training myself to shoot the flint accurately, then I needed new lenses so I could actually see the rear sight, then realized that the rear sight was not snug enough in the dovetail resulting in consistency issues.
Once all was resolved though I stand by my earlier statement about not feeling undergunned with a flinter.
Tom

The best way I know of to ruin a perfectly plain longrifle is to carve and engrave it

Offline Canute Rex

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 07:56:22 PM »
I looked up a little info about titanium. Less resistant to fatigue stress than steel, but about 56% of the weight. Larry's 727.9 becomes 407.6. Consider that f=ma, force equals mass times acceleration, switch it around to a=f/m, and you get 56% faster acceleration. Drop that a bit to account for the flint weight being the same, but that could be significant in terms of lock timing.

Hmmmm, where to get a custom titanium casting? For less than the cost of a new rifle, I mean.