Author Topic: Ramrod tip  (Read 8447 times)

Offline Pete G.

Ramrod tip
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:29:07 AM »
OK, so I am finishing up a 45 cal golden age York county. I have tapered the ramrod and installed one of the commercial 5/16" tips on the rear. What should go on the front? Incidentally, tapering the rod is a wonderful feature. This thing drops back in the pipes under its own weight and then sits there patiently waiting to be seated all the way home.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Ramrod tip
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 03:13:44 AM »
Pete,  I would not put anything on the front.  Leave it bare wood.  The tip on the rear is the working end.  That is how I leave 99% of mine, unless I am building a fantasy gun.
DMR

Offline AndyThomas

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:49:59 AM »
I suspect, but don't really know for sure, that in the "old days" the big end of a tapered rod was the end that pushed the ball down the bore. And when I use an iron tip on the small end, I generally put a brass band at the big end, like on RCA 42, which is probably there to prevent splitting. Inside the band the wood is concaved to center on the ball.

If I use a modern 5/16" brass tip, I do nothing to the big end. In this case I use the small end for pushing the ball. Modern tips are concaved for this purpose, and work well.

Hope this helps,
Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

omark

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 08:08:45 AM »
i have done a couple of things. though maybe not original, i think theyre handy. one is to put a tip on each end, one with 10 32 threads, the other with 8 32 threads. makes obtaining/using different accessories easier. the other has been to just cut a groove on the front to use it as a cleaning jag.  :-\

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 02:54:25 AM »
I almost always do a flared horn tip....well, as flared as I can get given the nosecap I'm using.  JHAT shows an almost new Virginia rifle that has a horn tipped rod. 
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 04:05:59 AM »

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 06:58:29 AM »
I have made several ramrods with an antler or horn flared tip. Drill the tip material and reduce the rod to make a good fit to the rod tip. I saw a slot in the ramrod with a hacksaw and make a small brass wedge that I pound into the ramrod tip like fitting a new handle to a hammer.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

eagle24

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
I have made several ramrods with an antler or horn flared tip. Drill the tip material and reduce the rod to make a good fit to the rod tip. I saw a slot in the ramrod with a hacksaw and make a small brass wedge that I pound into the ramrod tip like fitting a new handle to a hammer.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Just curious. When you do a flared horn tip on a ramrod will it pull a cleaning patch?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
Can't resist saying I wouldn't trust it!!

Another idea for the muzzle end that is very practical is to drill a hole thru that end of said rod to shove a nail or whatever in to withdraw a stuborn rod otta those pipes or the stuck patch outta the bore!   Simple to do and you can turn the rod to hid at least one side of the hole in the rod.  Could save your day! :)

Black Hand

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 06:19:23 PM »

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 07:04:59 PM »

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

Just curious. When you do a flared horn tip on a ramrod will it pull a cleaning patch?

You don't thread the horn tip.  It's just for grabbin' on to.  The lower end (that is inside the stock) is metal and threaded for your tow worm, ball puller, etc.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 02:13:38 AM »

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

You don't thread the horn tip.  It's just for grabbin' on to.  The lower end (that is inside the stock) is metal and threaded for your tow worm, ball puller, etc.

And the flared tip is for seating the ball, wads, etc.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:46:39 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »

And for seating the ball, wads, etc.

I use the flared antler or horn end to seat balls and push cards and wads down the barrel. The small end of the ramrod is the one that is threaded for use with a jag.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393