Author Topic: DEGLOSSING A FINAL FINISH  (Read 4959 times)

Offline hortonstn

DEGLOSSING A FINAL FINISH
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
after staining i usually use beachwoods stock sealer then truoil.
this leaves me with a shiny finish, i prefer a satin finish,
i rub it down with 0000 steel wool and an oil
i'd like to know other ways of acheaving this satin finish
thank you
paul

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: DEGLOSSING A FINAL FINISH
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:44:34 PM »
Quit using truoil. Its a shiny varnish.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

kernalvax

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:30:24 AM »
tung oil will leave a nice satin finish if you steel wool it down between coats

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:59:26 AM »
use Chambers Traditional Oil finish and the you can rub it back with rottenstone etc if you want... It wont be nearly as shiny as tru oil anyway.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Black Hand

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 01:03:27 AM »
A light rubbing with 0000 steel wool followed by a hand-rubbed beeswax.  Proceed at your own risk, as even 0000 steel wool will wear through a finish quickly....

Oil and rottenstone should do as well.

greybeard

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:43 AM »
I rub down a truoil finish with fine powdered pummis sprinkled on a 3"square of felt soaked with linseed oil and wiped down with a soft cloth to remove most of the oil. leaves  it a bit shiney  but the glare of truoil is gone.  Here is an example.

Offline Artificer

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 06:15:15 AM »
I've used steel wool, rottenstone and other abrasives on Tru Oil, but what I have come to like the best is the scratch pads that are sold in hardware stores as equivalent to 00 and 000 steel wool. They actually smooth finer by about one O grade than described on the label.  Absolutely NO steel wool hairs left in the finish and you just wipe or brush off the residue between coats or when doing the final finish.  Then rub the heck out of it with wool pad and finally a clean cloth.
Gus

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
I have use MANY store bought and home made finishes and they all have there place. Some people have better "luck" with one more than another which is why they make all those different types of finishes. TruOil works well and is easy to apply, Permalyn (spelling) does well, Chambers Oil Finish is very good as I said they all have their place. I "knock" the sheen off of the TruOil finish something like Graybeard but as follows;
On a bare wood TruOil finish only I thin down some TruOil with minerial spirits or turps 3 (thinner) to 1 (oil). I then saturate the stock MANY times until it will take no more - wait 10 min then wipe off excess and allow to dry 48 hours. I then LIGHTLY go over the stock with 4/0 steel wool and "tack rag" it down. Now I start applying the TruOil - little at a time blending each area together as I work the entire stock - set aside to dry for 24 hours - repeat 3 - 4 more times BUT remember to use SMALL amounts of TruOil when applying - you don't want to have ANY runs in the finish - let dry 48 hours. Now gather up a small felt block (Aprox 1/2" X 1" X 2") or some size you can handle easily, a small shallow container to hold some Chambers Oil Finish, and another small container to hold some rottenstone. Dip the felt into the Chambers Oil (do not saturate-just moisten) now touch the rottenstone and rub very lightly on your stock in a SMALL area about three times - wipe off the excess and look at the finish - observe how much the rottenstone has cut the finish - if it is still the same as it was as you started then touch the Chambers Oil and rub some more. You will find the right technique between the amount of oil/rottenstone/and rubbing to produce a nice smooth, shine free finish. Now that you got the stock completely rubbed down (and wiped clean) you will need to apply 3 more layers of the TruOil to protect the wood but now you will apply the TruOil in one layer at a time and rub it out with the oil/rottenstone/and rubbing process BUT you will use less rottenstone and more Chambers Oil and rub VERY LIGHTLY and check often so you don't cut through the layers to bare wood. I hope this helps some of you as you learn your own technique.  ;D ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb