Author Topic: To use a vintage flintlock....madness?  (Read 4394 times)

vegard_dino

To use a vintage flintlock....madness?
« on: February 08, 2011, 01:38:50 AM »

Hello all.

Looking at some of the old, original, flintlocks a dealer in Holland have, I find myself wanting one. Oh my, so nice.
But, can they be safely used today? On target and hunting? Or, are they "just" eye candy?

Thanks for looking

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
Re: To use a vintage flintlock....madness?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 06:04:43 PM »
I see no problem with using original rifles IF they are thoroughly inspected and prove to be in excellent condition. I have a number of antique rifles & fowlers that I use from time to time.

keweenaw

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
If you're looking at Bolk's site, there certainly is some nice stuff in wonderful condition.  The safety issue probably isn't as important as the investment issue.  On safety you would need to remember that most of those guns were designed to be shot with loads that we would consider very light by today's standards and that shot with appropriate loads and always being careful the pieces should be safe.  The investment issue is another matter.  Those guns that were built in the first half of the 1700's are in great condition because they were basically never used.  Most have bright finished metal, etc.  The very first day you have them out on a humid or rainy day, the condition is going to degrade no matter how careful you are.  The first main or frizzen spring you break or sear nose that breaks off you will have significantly devalued the lock.  The time you fall down and break or significantly scratch the stock you will have lost lots of value.  Those 18th century gunsmiths aren't making any more pieces, can we take the chance of losing or significantly damaging one that has survived?

I shoot old English and American stuff, but only pieces that are in good condition but which show period repairs, lots of wear, etc.  Things that a scratch or two won't make much difference on or replacing parts is only adding to the previously replaced parts.  Would I buy a Bongarde rifle or fowler, absolutely if I could afford it.  Would I take it out and shoot it?  Maybe once on a nice dry sunny day.  Would I take it out hunting? Never.

Tom

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 08:52:13 PM »
If I didn't build rifles and wanted flintlocks to shoot, I would be very tempted to buy European stuff in very good condition.  If chosen carefully, these can be had for much less than a decent contemporary built rifle and they would likely be of superior quality as well.  I do understand the concern of damage and destroying a part of history though. 

vegard_dino

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 09:04:56 PM »

Thanks.

Yes, it is Bolkes I am looking at. Oh, so many beautiful guns.
But, better to find a new one for hunting. And maybe get a old one for decoration.

blunderbuss

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
I had a fellow come into my shop a couple of years ago with a half stock rifle that looked exactly like a Hawkins rifle come to find out the maker was working in St. Lewis and was a Canadian I don't remember the name but it started with a B and ended with an X I think .Any way the fellow wanted it repaired with an eye to shooting it once.It belonged to his great great... grand father. I checked out the bore etc and did the repairs. When we arrived at the range he said "You shoot it first" I put up a 50 yard standard black bull target and let one go it hit about two inches right of dead center. With his courage up he shot it next and went about 2" to the right of my shot. he said "I know I told you I just wanted to shoot it once but I wish I could shoot it again that was fun" To which I set down a leather polk full of .535 lead balls and said I suspected as much. he shot till dark.
 I do remember the tumbler had no half cock notch ,I've ran across that several times also some half cock notches are filed off.   

msmith

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 02:06:47 AM »
If I were to  pay 5-20+ Grand for a one of a kind Antique Piece of Art, I sure as heck would never fire it.....Even if it might not blow up, why  even take a  chance of ruining your investment.....Not to mention your face,fingers,eyes, & ears...Buy a Contemporary to shoot, and a Antique to admire and to make your friends jealous, :D :D
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:09:49 AM by msmit »