Author Topic: Silver prices dropping!!  (Read 5145 times)

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Silver prices dropping!!
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:51:07 PM »
For those of us that buy silver for inlays silver closed at a little over $10.00 on Friday.This is half of what it was back in March and is a two year low.Maybee it will go lower but who knows.I need some for a rifle I'm finishing up and been waiting for the prices to drop from earlier in the year.Think I'll order on Monday.Just thought I would throw this out there!!!!

Mitch

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:51:41 PM by tallbear »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Silver prices dropping!!
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 06:42:46 PM »
I'm glad the price of SOMETHING is going down. Silver is a great material to have on hand. I bought mine when it was at an all-time high....... :'(
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:44:42 PM »
You may incur the issue that the venders bought their inventory at the higher prices, so it may be a while before it comes back down.  Kindal like gasoline, it goes up drastically overnight if someone even  BREATHES  the word  hurricane, but it takes Months and sometimes a year for it to come back down.....  ???

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 09:42:04 PM »
Yep, I about died back in January when I bought some silver.  I needed some small round wire for inlaying into metal so I figured since I was making the trip across town I would buy some more sheet silver to add to what I already had on hand since I am always using it for some project.  At that time it was over $21.00 a Troy ounce so I only purchased what I needed.  I will be watching prices and buying some to have in stock soon I hope.
DMR

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »
Birddog
I purchase my silver here:http://www.metalliferous.com/.They charge you by the spot price(Handy and Harmen) for the day you purchase.

Mitch

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 02:13:57 AM »
I bought some silver the other day (spot was like $11.50).  US coins ("junk silver") and bullion.  I figure that now is a good time to invest in silver, since I cannot imagine it getting much, if any lower, especially considering the upcoming total economic collapse...

Actually, it was a good idea to invest long about 1996, when silver was like $5.30 and ounce....  Buying silver is just about the only way a poor man like me can "invest" in anything.

What I'd like is for it to stay about the same for the next few weeks anyway (so I can maybe buy some more), and then let it go up.   ;D
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »
Just remember that silver is also an industrial metal and that may play against it. Pure inflation will see it go up but a collapse may not. Which is why it's gone down.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I figure a coin would be better to do inlays out of.  Probably more like old silver alloys would be.  Pound out a half dollar (just make sure it is "junk silver" and doesn't have any numismatic value!).  I've been wanting to do the dove like is on one of the Reading guns in RCA.  Another gun I haven't gotten around to yet, if I ever do...
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:42:57 AM »
I bought my first bullion silver a month or so ago when it spiked down. The company, APMEX.com, offers pure silver shot at a low premium over spot. I wondered if this would be a good way to purchase silver for inlays or not. Maybe we could get Jerry to educate us a bit on this. They have a similar product in gold too.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

boman

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 05:10:14 AM »

Here's a source for silver as well as brass and NI silver I have used for many years---they have all kinds of sheet, wire etc. and you pay spot on silver or gold.

www.riogrande.com  You'll have to set up an account to access the webpage. 

Steve