Author Topic: BLO - Did I get it hot enough?  (Read 3482 times)

Offline LynnC

BLO - Did I get it hot enough?
« on: February 08, 2011, 08:10:39 AM »
I bought a used Fry Baby, put in two cups old store bought BLO light amber in color, added tspn lead and oxide scapings plus a little fine ground chalk to the hot oil.  Cooked and stirred it off and on about two hours.  Came out dark coffee amber colored.  It never did boil but was plenty hot to fry the stick I stirred it with.  Seems a bit thicker.  I thinned some with turpentine and put a couple coats on a euro walnut stock.  Soaked in and Looks good.  Haven't tried any unthinned yet.

Did it really need to hit a rolling boil to do any good or did I get it just hot enough to darken?  Any thoughts or pointers?
Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline J. Talbert

Re: BLO - Did I get it hot enough?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:11:44 PM »
I'd be interested to know whether your method worked.  It sure sounds easier than any other process I've seen discussed here.
Let us know how it performs.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:42:34 PM »
When it turns color and loses that nice linseed oil smell, it's good.  The oil just turning over good is enough.  My cooker has a hard time getting it any hotter, but I've not found it necessary.

The longer you boil it, the thicker it will get (and the faster it will dry).
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 01:40:13 AM »
I bought a used Fry Baby, put in two cups old store bought BLO light amber in color, added tspn lead and oxide scapings plus a little fine ground chalk to the hot oil.  Cooked and stirred it off and on about two hours.  Came out dark coffee amber colored.  It never did boil but was plenty hot to fry the stick I stirred it with.  Seems a bit thicker.  I thinned some with turpentine and put a couple coats on a euro walnut stock.  Soaked in and Looks good.  Haven't tried any unthinned yet.

Did it really need to hit a rolling boil to do any good or did I get it just hot enough to darken?  Any thoughts or pointers?
Lynn

The oil need not "boil". Getting that hot in an uncontrolled atmosphere may damage the oil or make it too thick.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 01:59:54 AM »
If it’s dark, you got it hot enough.  You can make an acceptable BLO at 300 degrees, which yields a very light colored oil.  I’d guess from your description that you got it above 400 degrees.  Now all you need to do is add some resin, and you will have a nice varnish.  If you peruse the Archives, you’ll find a number of PC recipes.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »
Thanks all - I feel a bit better about this attempt at true boiled oil.  I thought it might have been a wasted effort cause it didn't "boil".  When I get some time I'll try working some into that euro walnut and report the results as to speed of drying ect.
If this turns out maybe try to make varnish next..........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......