Author Topic: Gunstock pitch  (Read 18335 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Gunstock pitch
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 04:09:09 PM »
For those trying to stick to a particular "school" stock fit might be out of the question, especially with some of the styles that were not really designed with fitting a human in mind. Even if someone is buying the gun to shoot, chances are he/she has no idea of what fits properly and what does not. I had the opportunity to witness that this past weekend.
Coming from a "modern" stockfitting background, I have sought out "authentic" styles that are more appropriate to good shooting and are elgible for slight tweaking to fit most individuals. ;D

For American made styles, the pattern most often called the "Early Lancaster" will fit a large majority of people to a reasonable degree.

Here is a basic consideration for pitch without going into an epistle of all the causes and effects........

* Pitch is designated as positive or negative from ZERO pitch which would be a ninety degree angle relation between the face of the butt and the barrel. An 89 degree angle is +1 of pitch. Pitch is measured in degrees so a straight edge and a protractor is best used as opposed to a wall and floor.

* Pitch consideration can reduce felt recoil and adjust elevation of the shot on guns shooting shot. Correct pitch also allows a consistent mount to allow the eye to get positioned behind the sights on a rifle every time.

* Make the pitch of the gun so that the shooter has good contact with the butt in all areas in their chosen shooting stance.  Men with large pectoral areas and women need more positive pitch than a skinny person.

* Radical crescent butts are a different animal and LOP will be a larger factor with them. I have not placed much study on them and their effects as they are not of my interest. IMHO they are not really designed from the get-go for recoil management due to their curve, width and their intended mounting location.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 03:33:53 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:00:59 PM »
?? Greybeard: If the measurements from the old makers show upwards of +15 pitch, wouldn't that make them less painful?? I thought from the drawing that positive pitch was good? -Tom

greybeard

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 09:26:12 PM »
Tom;  I was being sarcastic as a previous post said that  a + pitch would smack you on the cheek  but most of the old builders used a +(positive) pitch. That inspired me to make that comment.  My personal experience is Negative pitch BAD . Positive pitch GOOD

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 01:24:44 AM »
J Rodgers,

That's a very good explaination. Thanks for taking the time to ellucidate upon it. I have taken the liberty of copying it so that I may rumminate upon it's implications!

Best regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Clean and Repair your 10/22 Magazine!

Offline Tom Moore

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »
Greybeard: DUH! Humor, it's a difficult concept. Especially for the slow. ;D -Tom

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
Don, I think you are correct.  I suspect most of us inlet a buttplate, of unknown angle between the extension and the butt, aligning it with the comb on the kit's stock.  The question is how to change the buttplate angles.  Can they be annealed enough to be bent (usually increasing the angle).  I have seen guns where the amateur builders ( like me)  tilted the buttplate, then brought the comb line down to matchup somewhat.  That doesn't appear to be a good solution. 

This might be a possible business expansion area for someone like Reeves Goering and son to offer plates in the most popular styles with a couple of different angles so pitch can be kept within a reasonable comfort range.

Also, I think I can get a couple degrees adjustment on the buttplate by filing the bottom line of the extension making that line taper out toward the comb end.  Shouldn't be noticable if the change is small.