Author Topic: extending wrought iron barrel  (Read 2424 times)

Offline shortbarrel

extending wrought iron barrel
« on: February 09, 2011, 02:10:53 AM »
if you have an old barrel that is been cut to short for a rifle you might build, tell me how you would extend it. i got my ideas and have used them, but would like some input. safety is the factor.

camerl2009

Re: extending wrought iron barrel
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 03:22:46 AM »
buy a new barrel there is no safe way it just blow off and welding a barrel is not good for it

Trkdriver99

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:52:54 AM »
Last year at Martin's Station Wallace Gussler had one on display from 18th century that the barrel had a piece added on it.

Ronnie

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:19:32 AM »
Extending a barrel on an original, as part of a restoration, is done purely for cosmetic purposes.  It is not intended to be shot.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline rsells

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:57:40 AM »
I have an original TN rifle that had the breech cut off about 15 inches.  I wanted to restore the rifle to its original barrel length.  I wrestled with the process.  Finally, I decided to purchase an original  barrel with good rifling, correct length, and enough metal across the flats to cut it to match the swamp of the original barrel.  I had one of the barrel makers duplicate the original swamp profile.  I used the original front, rear sight, breech plug,  rounded the flat edges, and aged the barrel to match the original metal.  Now I am in process of extending the stock to restore the rifle. 
                                                                            Roger Sells