Author Topic: Interesting Powder Horn...NC??  (Read 5370 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Interesting Powder Horn...NC??
« on: October 12, 2008, 08:30:42 PM »
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 06:48:39 PM by rich pierce »
Joel Hall

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Interesting Powder Horn...NC??
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 06:20:59 AM »
The flats filed on the throat and spout, very flat plug and weak/low strap retaining ring put me in mind of a New England horn. I think a few N.E. horns had raised areas, even bands such as your wide integral band, for owner's names, dates, etc. Hard to know for sure with this horn. Is there any scratching on the band? Shelby Gallien

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 03:26:10 PM »
Thanks Shelby for your reply, there are no names or any scrimshaw on the ring or horn body. What I find interesting are the 13 old brass tacks that are placed non -shalontly on the body and ring. These are not part of the 9 same type tacks that adorn and fasten the plug end. I am only guessing but there is a ring of square nails (brads) that stand proud around the horns spout below the lower spout ring. I think they may have held the leather strap at one time. ??
Joel Hall

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 06:19:07 PM »
Great old horn- that's what they look like when they're really old!
Andover, Vermont

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:35:39 PM »
I have a very similar horn in my things and it always my understanding that it was a rather typical New England horn. I vote with Shelby on this one. Thank you for showing it, Cap'n.
Best-Dick

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 08:07:49 AM »
One quick comment on brass tacks on powder horns. I do a lot of work with mid-western Tansel powder horns, and the majority of datable horns I see with brass tacks (and I mean ORIGINAL tacks) are the 1848 presidential campaign horns, both Whig and Democrat. Of course, with Tansel horns it's easy to know when they were campaign-related items because of the candidates' names and pictures carved on them. 1848 was perhaps the last major campaign when powder horns were widely used as political or campaign tokens. It always makes me wonder, when I see tacks on plain horns, if many were old horns brought out and tack decorated for use with campaign rallies or poilitical gatherings in other areas in 1848. I think this was particularly true when candidates were prior military officers, and voters/supporters served in the same war the candidate won recognition and glory in. The old horn, brightened up with shiny new tacks, brought back emotional feelings of national pride and support for the candidate. Or at least that's my theory! 
                                                                                                                     Shelby Gallien

wwpete52

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 08:20:02 PM »
Nice horn!