Author Topic: tc hawken 1-48 twist  (Read 4327 times)

Offline walt53

tc hawken 1-48 twist
« on: February 10, 2011, 06:17:27 AM »
hi i am wondering if any you shoot a hawken and if so could you please tell me what kind of groups you get with a .490 RB at 100yards.
and maybe  how many grains of powderyou use.(2F OR 3F)
 thanks  walt.

roundball

Re: tc hawken 1-48 twist
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:27:31 AM »
hi i am wondering if any you shoot a hawken and if so could you please tell me what kind of groups you get with a .490 RB at 100yards.
and maybe  how many grains of powderyou use.(2F OR 3F)
 thanks  walt.
My TC Hawkens 28"x1:48" barrels in .45/.50/.54cals averaged 1+7/8" - 2+3/4" at 100yds benched, using 90grns Goex, oxyoke prelubed over powder wads, .018" pillow ticking, and Hornady .440/.490/.530 balls.

Offline walt53

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 06:50:17 AM »
thanks ,  was it  necessary to use the over powder wad.
walt.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 08:07:37 AM »
I didn't post that  and do not use OP wads but in reading a lot of posts, an OP wad would help a PRB stay in the grooves with such a heavy powder charge.  I would think a 60 gr load or there abouts w/ a PRB and no patch would be reliable and no stripping of the rifling.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:08:37 AM by TComp »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:17:51 PM »
My second ML was a TC, but that was 30 yrs ago, so the barrels may have changed.  The best accuracy was achieved with really tight patch & ball combinations with a very clean barrel.  I cleaned after every shot & used .495 balls with an .018 patch.  Some guys did really well with a .500 ball due to the rather shallow grooves in the TC.  This obviously will not work for hunting because you have to drive those .500 balls.  You can develop a target load & a hunting load.  Get a sample of balls .490 to .500 and different types of patching & start experimenting. Start at 50grs or so & work up on the scale until you get your best group with a patch & ball combination, then start changing the patch & ball combo, one thing at a time until you get your best. One of the best things you can do for accuracy on your TC is change the sights.  That bead front sight covers up too much of your target to get good definition..  Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

roundball

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
thanks ,  was it  necessary to use the over powder wad.
walt.
Probably not "necessary", but they're touted as improving the gas seal and to give you an example, I've chronographed loads where shot to shot standard deviation variances averaged 25 FPS without a wad, and dropped all the way down to only 6 FPS with a wad;
Another thing any wad does is serve as a firewall and protect the patch;
A third thing is that it introduces more lube into the bore;

To offer an additional viewpoint on "stripping the rifling", PRBs don't strip rifling in TC 1:48" barrels, and wads would not have any effect on that if they did...that would only have to do with the snugness of the PRB combo itself.
It seems that this notion that PRBs strip rifling is a misnomer that got started way back in the 50s-60s when some imported military rifled muskets made for use with a mini skirt type bullet with only 3 very shallow lands & grooves @ 1:48" twist began to lose accuracy with PRBs and large powder charges were tried in them, and it was surmised that the PRBs were stripping the rifling.  Evidently that became twisted, condensed inaccurately, and has been repeated ad naseaum over the decades that TC's shallow groove 1:48" barrels won't shoot PRBs well with large powder charges because they'll strip the rifling.

In 18 years of using max-near max powder charges in TC .45/.50/.54cals pretty much year round, with and without wads, I've never had anything but excellent accuracy out of TC's 1:48" barrels, both cap and Flint.
Other's mileage may vary of course...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 04:22:41 PM by roundball »

omark

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
been over 30 yrs since i had one, too. seems if i got over 80-85 grs goex 3f,  with a 490, i still had hunting accuracy with the exception of a flyer, never could tell when it was going to happen. at that time there wasnt much info like today and i didnt know as much either. i believe i could do better than that now.  mark