Author Topic: Sterling silver for inlays  (Read 12396 times)

Offline James

Sterling silver for inlays
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:29:51 PM »
Hello, I got a German silver hunter's star to inlay on the Fichthorn and then came across something stating that G. silver wasn't used until 1830 ish. Is there a reputable place to get sterling silver sheet thick enough for inlays? Dixie has it but the price is higher than I have found elsewhere online. I prefer to go with a supplier that you folks know of. Thanks
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Sterling silver for inlays
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
I would use coin silver.

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 04:12:52 PM »
Rio Grande or any jewlry supply house. Remember silver is right at $30.00 per oz. I to would use coin silver.
David Veith
David Veith

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »
Where do you get your coin silver?
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." P.Henry

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »
Coin shops,  Ask if the have any Culls.

Rich

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
Where do you get your coin silver?

From a silver coin and a rolling mill. A hammer and anvil will also do. ;D
As Rich points out, there are more old silver coins that just have silver content value to them than these with coin collector value. Go for those.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
I just buy silver pound and beat them thinner. Some jewelers (real ones) can roll them for you.
Coin silver is OK and its harder and is more correct I guess. But I still use fine silver.
No guilt in beating out one of the modern silver bars or rounds.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »
I just buy silver pound and beat them thinner. Some jewelers (real ones) can roll them for you.
Coin silver is OK and its harder and is more correct I guess. But I still use fine silver.No guilt in beating out one of the modern silver bars or rounds.

Dan

So, Dan, use of fine silver for longrifles inlays is okay but using beeswax as a finish is somehow a violation of all things PC.  :D I guess it would be a waste of time to ask for the physical evidence or documentation that fine silver was used for rifle inlays in colonial America.

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 07:23:13 PM »
I'd bet a multipage response is already in the works ;D 

Offline James

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:34 PM »
What size coin would be needed for the hunter's star if it's say 2 1/2" long and maybe half that high? Can the silver coins be melted  to form a larger piece if a large enough coin is not to be found? Are there specific coins that are best, like buffalo nickels or old pre 65 quarters, or rather, which have enough silver to work for this? Would old silver utensils work? I have never done anything with silver so I'm in the dark.

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:51:56 PM »
Key word Silver! I went to a coin dealer and asked for cull Silver Dollars use the old ones that are worn almost smooth. You should be able to get them for $20 to $35 dollars maybe! I just heat them up and pound them thinner on an anvil. One silver dollar should be plenty big enough for what you want. You  then cut out your star or inlay with a jewelers saw. Bob

trimegistus

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »
Any US quarter from 1964 or earlier is made from a 90% silver alloy.  They are quite malleable, I have used them for inlay material into various wood projects before, and they work up/look good..

caliber45

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:51:25 PM »
Talking -- fyi, "buffalo nickels" are made of a nickel alloy (hence, the name . . .), not a silver alloy . . .

Offline James

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 02:43:43 PM »
I've located a couple of cull dollars, will they need to be annealed just once or will it depend on how much I hammer them? Also, is it possible to save the trimmings & filings and melt them for use on something else?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:52:31 PM by talkingamoeba »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
Silver work hardens, if you wish to pound or roll it, you should anneal between workings.
It is easy to anneal, just heat to dull red then quench in cool water.
If you pound  or roll excessively small cracks will appear, and will only get worse as you work it.
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 04:22:56 PM »
Try ebay for "junk" silver coins.  There are often well worn standing liberty quarters that are almost unrecognizable on there.  Remember though, the price of silver is up these days.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
I wouldn't discount the use of nickles either. I've made some pretty nice barrel pin escutions out of them! They come pretty close to german silver in their finished appearance. Any "cheap" resource that looks good is PC in my book! :-X :D
Joel Hall

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 09:04:21 PM »
Coin silver can also be bought in sheet form. I like using sheet because you start with a uniform thickness and it is dead soft. Easy to lay out your design on and cut with a jewelers saw, very little waste if you lay it out on the sheet right.

Just curious from those of you that have originals or have been able to handle a bunch with silver inlays. The difference in silver content between coin silver and sterling is very small. Can you tell by looking at an inlay and tell if it is coin silver or sterling? I would think it would be difflicult to tell the difference.  What was the silver content of the various silver coins during colonial times?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 09:05:23 PM by bama »
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline M. Wheland

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
Bama,  Where can you buy coin silver sheet ? I would certainly preffer working with sheet rather than old coins.

Mark

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 02:02:45 AM »
...  What was the silver content of the various silver coins during colonial times?

As you know coins varried in silver content from country to country and sometimes from mint to mint in the same country. Fine silver was not used as a coin because it was soft and would wear out too quickly. In colonial America the two standards most commonly encountered would be British coins at 925 parts fine silver and 75 parts copper (some trace elements were unavoidable) OR the Spanish dollar at 935 fine silver and 65 copper. There were other foreign coins in circulation but they were relatively rare compared to the Spanish dollar.

I have had folks swear that they can tell the difference by eyeball but I have my doubts! We should do a test some day.

There is much, much more to the story and those interested might enjoy this virtual tour of a Colonial Williamsburg museum exibit on the subject.
http://www.history.org/history/museums/coinExhibit/

On the other hand early 20th-century United States coins were 900 parts fine silver and 100 parts copper.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 02:38:27 AM »
http://www.surepure.com/featured/silver_sheet.php

This is a link to a site that list coin silver sheet.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline M. Wheland

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 07:17:27 AM »
Thanks

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 07:29:30 AM »
With British and Spanish coins at 92.5% and 93.5% silver, respectively, it seems sterling would be as good of a match as any.

Offline James

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 07:41:51 AM »
What thickness would you use for most inlays and can the scraps be melted and cast into a usable piece too?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
Basically, coin silver has overall the same basic silver content as sterling. The excecptions are miniscul. You can buy sheet silver in whatever form, coin or sterling, for less than a financial coin however worn as a general rule. If you want one inlay, sure. It's a matter of bulk. But for anyone that uses a lot, as I do. Coins are a financial drain.