Author Topic: Finished pair of silver kentucky pistols. (Fixed pictures)  (Read 31822 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Finished pair of silver kentucky pistols.
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 02:35:43 AM »
Words dont do justice to your workmanship, they truly great. Best wishes   Gary

Dave Waters

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 03:02:26 AM »
Rolfkt,
Truly beautiful and matched. Impressive!!!!

Dave Waters

Kaintuckkee

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:12 AM »
WOW.......very,very nice....excellent work there I am impressed

Offline Paddlefoot

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 04:01:06 AM »
Did I hear a fitted case was coming?  These beauties sure deserve a fine one with special tools and accessories too. Very nice work.
The nation that makes great distinction between it's warriors and it's scholars will have it's thinking done by cowards and it's fighting done by fools. King Leonidas of Sparta

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 04:05:35 AM »
Holy Cow!

Dexter and Sinister, Right and Left! If they were girls I'd marry em! They are an incredible example of the craft!Like my kids say, "You Rock!"

Regards,
Albert A Rasch
More Turkey Hunting Tips!

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Thank you all for your kind comments. The advice freely given from ALR members has been a huge help. It will be a while before I can start on the case and accoutrement's. I've got to start cramming for me finial med.school examens  15Th. of June. I'm going to be glad when that's over.
I've bought the Linsay graver sharpening system and the NRA manual of basic firearms engraving last year. I'm still working on lesson one which is to do a strait line with consistent depth and width. So far the results look awful. I think I'm going way to deep and wobbly. I have not been able to find anyone who teaches engraving in Norway, so I'll probably will be pestring you this fall for advice and guidance.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline Mike New

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 02:51:17 PM »
Rolf very beautiful work!! With your talent I would not worry about the engraving or passing your exams. Its clear that you are very focused and will accomplish what ever you decide to do. Again, very very nice work. Mike New

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »
Rolf,
When I began to learn engraving, I started cutting what would be considered shading lines; very fine, narrow and shallow. I just cut one line next to another, about 10 / 12 mm long, and about 0.1 mm wide and deep.
Hand pushing the graver is pretty easy cutting this small line, just be sure you're cutting a curl of metal at the tip of the graver, and not just making a scratch in the metal.

Good luck on your exams!!

John
John Robbins

FRJ

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »
As a novice in this game I truely admire the workmanship and beautiful art exhibited in these two pistols!!!!!!! Thank you so very much for sharing them with all of us. Frank

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:15 AM »
Really impressive. Technical skills and architecture are all there. I feel artistic sense and sensitivity , the difference between workmanship and art, are not far behind. Be a physician first , but these things can be a respite and change of pace.

Offline rick landes

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2011, 06:12:33 PM »
Absolutely stunning.
“No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glenn

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 01:56:55 AM »
Absolute brilliant work of art.  I'm sure the case will be just as impressive.  Thanks for posting photos of such fine work.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

paa

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2011, 02:39:58 AM »
What a magnificent piece of work!  After viewing your photos a number of times, I can find no flaws whatsoever!  Well done.  Please continue to work, explore, strive.  World needs such as you.  Peter A. Alexander/Gunsmith of Grenville County

eddillon

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:16 AM »
Rolf,
Fantastic!  Perfectly executed. Perfectly matched.  Perfectly symetrical.  Perfectly finished.  Keep up the artwork.  Keep all of us informed as you progress through the accoutrement and case building.  I posted silver mounted pistol earlier on Nov. 15 that I had just finished.  I plan to case also and would appreciate it if you would share your accoutrement and case technique and design.
Regards,
Ed

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:37 AM »
I was already impressed... but you did these while going to Med School????
Did I read that right?  Where do you find the time?

I thought you were an old @$#% like most of us on here. ;D

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2011, 03:40:24 AM »
Jeff!
What is your point in referring to some of us here as being "Old !@#$%".
If you look at the fine print, it is mandatory to maintain status........so be careful, you may cause harm to some of the pace makers, and some of the more fragile seniors.
Some of us can still kick butt.  ;)
Old Ford ( @$#% )

Nice work Rolf!
You are a master already, regardless of age!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:02:45 AM by Old Ford2 »
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Glenn

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »
Absolutely beautiful brace of pistols.  Your work is second to none.  Thank you for sharing this with us.  Can't wait to see the black walnut case !!!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 04:42:30 AM by Glenn »
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Rolf

« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2011, 11:18:23 AM »
Thank you all for the kind comments. As for age, I just turned 54. Yes, I'm a med.student. Soon finished with my sixth and last year.
I have a back ground as large animal/farm veterinarian (Norwegian vet. collage 1981-1987). Since farming has gone down the drain in Norway (hard to find work), I went back to the University to become a doctor(for people). Luckely, university education is free in Norway, or I would never had been able to afford this. Only requirement is that you have good enough grades. I had hoped to be finished last summer, but due to health issues in family I had to take an extra term. I'll post pictures when I've started on the case.

Best regards
Rolf
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:22:51 AM by Rolf »

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
So Rolf,
You do qualify as a elementary "Old @$#%" congratulations on your further studies. All of your previous medical practices will have value in the years to come.
The quality of your wood/ metal work shows what kind of  professional you really are.
My compliments
Old Ford  ( Fred Ford )
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

eddillon

« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Rolf, I am not familiar with the iron-vinegar stain.  Could you please elaborate?
Thanks,
Ed

Offline Rolf

« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »
Rolf, I am not familiar with the iron-vinegar stain.  Could you please elaborate?
Thanks,
Ed

Basically it is the same as aquafortis stain, but using household vinegar instead of nitric acid. It takes longer to brew but is safer to use and you don't have to heat the stock to turn the color red. Just wait 24 hours for the vinegar to evaporate. I made mine by taking a wade of Liberon steelwool and washing it in the dishwasher to get rid of oils they put in it to prevent rusting. Put the clean steelwool in a jar of household vinegar and let it brew for three months. This Will give you a saturated iron solution.  When applied to the wood the first two coats will turn it blue grey. The next couple of coats will change it brown/red. If you want a more reddish color, dilute the stain with vinegar and wait a couple of days. The more acidic the stain the redder the color. If you do a search using " iron vinegar" you will find a lot of posts on the subject.

Best regards
Rolf

eddillon

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2011, 12:49:06 AM »
Thanks, Rolf.  I have already put some steel wool in the Dishwasher.  My wife is questioning my sanity.  She doesn't like the taste of steel wool! ;D
Best,
Ed
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:52:26 AM by eddillon »

FRJ

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
Absolutely georgous!!!!! The only difference I see between them is the scratches on the frizens!!! Please try to match these up next time around. LOL Frank

mbokie5

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
Beauty!

How did you do the stars and bars at the lock end of the barrels?

Offline Glenn

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2011, 10:38:56 PM »
Beauty!

How did you do the stars and bars at the lock end of the barrels?

Good question ... that's what I'd like to know.  Been scratching my head over that one since first post.