Author Topic: 38 vs 42 barrel length  (Read 4726 times)

nchunter

38 vs 42 barrel length
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:36 PM »
I'm looking to build a 50 caliber rifle with a swamped barrel. 

What are the advantages/disadvantages of 38 inch vs 42 inch barrel length?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: 38 vs 42 barrel length
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
A rifle with a 38" barrel will be handier in the bush.  It will likely be lighter to carry, and quicker to point.
A rifle with a 42" barrel will be somewhat heavier, especially out past the entry pipe.  It will be much steadier to hold for target, or trail walk type of shooting, and will have a longer sight radius which will also help in hitting a mark.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
The primary advantage of one over the other is in the design of the rifle you want to build and which is more appropriate.  As to my little rebellion against making oil companies any wealthier than I have to I drive smaller cars.  Shorter barrels work better in smaller cars.  They also are handier when carried in the cab of a pickup.  Whiel I admit that I enjoy my 42" smooth rifle, I still have come to appreciate shorter barrels.

DP

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
I consider a few things when I build; What is the rifle going to be used for - hunting or target shooting - how tall is the person using the rifle - is it for a adult or a growing young person, is the owner "big boned" or of slight build. Many things need to be considered so that the rifle will satisfy the owner so that he or she will get the utmost out of it. With that said a 38" swamped rifle barrel makes a NICE hunting rifle and a 42" swamped does well on the target range -- my opinion - your milage may very!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 09:44:17 PM »
38" and 42" - only 4" difference.  With a different contour in each, they could feel identical in weight and balance - therefore the 38" would handle both the target aspect of having nice steady hold, and shorter length, being better handling in the bush.

I've hunted in bush where a 32" barrel was too long to swing onto a deer or moose, and in other "bush" where a 42" was just fine - it varies from bush to bush and even inside the same block of bush.  I would not pick a barrel length between those two 'long' lengths on 'just' that criteria, but would let design decide for me.

An "Edwin Marshal' rifle with 38" is one of the best hunting designs there is and it is so balanced as to be a great 'target' shooter too. This is the  rifle Gary Mummery shoots every year at Helfely Creek and it is a "winner".

I think it's a "C" weight in .50 @ 38" would be perfect for both theaters, IMHO.  It is also perfect in 42", as attested to Taylor's Virginia rifle - at around 10 pounds, it's perfect for those who like a bit of weight - but perhpas not the 'choice' for everyone.  This is another of those 'subjective' deals.

For a 6'2", 210 pound fellow like Taylor (or 6'1" @ 230 - like me ;D), 10 pounds is perfect -  easy to shoot and nice to hold.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 02:10:58 AM »
A 38" barrel is about perfect, IMHO.  That has become my standard length.  The barrel should still be swamped, of course.  A friend has the same identical rifle as I have (42") only his is swamped.  There is not much difference at all in the way both shoulder.  My friend says my rifle feels the SAME as his!  I have another rifle with a 38" swamped barrel that feels MUCH less muzzle heavy than my 36" LL with a straight barrel.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.