Author Topic: long-gun gun chest  (Read 8193 times)

B Staley

long-gun gun chest
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:31:18 PM »
A while back on this site they were talking about long-gun gun chest and they had a few pictures posted so I decided to try and make one from the pictures and the dimensions posted their. I made a few changes the one they had a picture was for 5 guns I constructed mine a little taller and added a 2nd rack so it would hold 10 guns.  It is still under construction I need to finish sanding and add some hardware, haven’t decided yet on what kind of finish to use, and would like something that would be old looking. Any suggestions would be great......B Staley

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: long-gun gun chest
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 12:58:59 AM »
 Looks good, I like your set up for the second tier. How about Milk paint, then sand it back, wipe on and off a coat of Lt Brown stain, then wax. Or skip the stain and use some Brown wax, Brown shoe polish will do.

Tim C.

B Staley

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
Thanks Tim, I will try some different things on some scrap wood. Never heard of milk paint before so I looked it up, sounds interesting........B Staley

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:36:13 AM »
I'd paint this piece. Milk paint is fun to work with. There are a couple of makers of powdered milk paint, and I've used them both. You can make your own, but I put that exercise in the same class as making your own barrel--fine, if that's what you want to do.

Try these folks:

http://www.realmilkpaint.com/  (I think the other folks are Old Fashioned Milk Paint)

Take a look at pieces in their photo gallery. You'll see why layered colors can produce interesting effects. Definitely use oil over the final coat of paint. The stuff gets funky and dirty and ugly. And a hint: milk paint ain't ever coming off. It'll wear, but you won't strip off and it penetrates so sanding it off requires removal of way too much wood.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

B Staley

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »
Kermit
Thanks for the link.......B Staley

Offline Glenn

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 04:09:06 AM »
Awesome chest and a brilliant idea.  As for the finish, I'd raise that beautiful grain as much as possible and go with a real nice light stain then seal it.  You could probably add some stain to some linseed oil and rub it in and see how that does.  Beautiful project indeed.   ;D
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:23:52 PM »
Great looking chest. If you decide to paint it, here is a system of paints that give a very hard finish and can be distressed when applied by putting on a coat of checking compound. This cabinet has a total of four coats of paint to give the finish of a piece of furniture that lived through many generations and was refinished several times. Good luck with your project.

http://www.caromalcolours.com/

B Staley

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 06:29:45 PM »
I decided to stain it, still need to put the red velvet lining on the inside.  Part of the trim needs to be removed to open the lid, a little hidden lock kind of.......B Staley

KennyC

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 06:57:01 PM »
Nice work thanks all you guys for sharing all the finnishing info  Ken

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
Great finish, I like it  a lot...
Jim