Author Topic: Red berries on my wiping patch  (Read 3196 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Red berries on my wiping patch
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:58:48 AM »
What are the "red berries" on my wiping patch when I wipe between shots?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Red berries on my wiping patch
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:43:23 AM »
Everybody has seen them at one time or another - a sulfate byproduct produced under right humidity conditions  is one explanation I've seen.     The consensus is that the presence of red flecks doesn't indicate complete ignition, efficient combustion, incomplete or inefficient ignition of the powder, just that you got red flecks or berries.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:13:03 AM »
You are seeing some of the sulphur left over after firing. I see it all the time down here in the humidity.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:26:58 AM »
Just came in from shooting a flint 36 - First shot, red streak across the pan.  Temp in the 50's.  Humidity about 50%.  also noticed the rest of fouling on the lock was going gray to white today.  And it was a nice day today BTW!

Its just the atmospheric conditions happen to be right..............Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:11:06 AM »
The red berries.balls and/or steaks, sometimes called 'Barrel Blood" has nothing to do with 'proper' or ultimate load. It is due to the atmospheric conditions of pressure and humidity along with the sulfer in the burning powder - just like noted by the fine gentlemen.  Since none of them mentioned the 'attachemnts' to the phenominum, I thought I would.