Author Topic: HC finish for an Colonial made early 18th C New England Fowler  (Read 7417 times)

Rasch Chronicles

HC finish for an Colonial made early 18th C New England Fowler
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:57:31 AM »
Well hello,

and I have survived yet another encounter with the Afghans...

But that's another story for another day.

I am about to order my Chambers New England Fowler in the next few days, and I would like to know what a historicaly correct finish should be.

I'm pretty excited about getting home! Just a few more weeks!

Best regards,
Albert

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
Re: HC finish for an Colonial made early 18th C New England Fowler
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:17:27 AM »
I was just talking to one of my students who is a Afghan vet.  Another one of my vet students brought me a flag that flew over their base to display in my office.  How cool is that.

Anyway, a buddy of mine made a fowler that I have and it is a dark walnut and he only applied Chambers oil finish to it.  I am not sure how many coats.  But it looks good, and over time has almost turned black.

Be safe

Coryjoe

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:42:43 AM »
Albert,
I have prayed that you get home safely.  Please do tell us of your encounters with the Afgan insurgents.  I am sure that  I am not the only one who wants to hear it.
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Joe S

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 12:59:32 AM »
If you use a maple stock, the preferred stain is aqua fortis.  Chambers has an HC varnish that people like.  Kettenburg occasionally has some for sale too.  Aqua fortis and varnish can be homemade or purchased.  You can find instructions for both by searching the archives.  Spar varnish is actually very close to HC varnishes.  I know folks who dilute it with turpentine somewhat, and get very nice results with it.  Stay away from aniline dyes (that would be most stains) and polyurethane finishes

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:11:31 AM »
Spar varnish in NE makes sense.. even with some Pine Tar to help bring out the curl.  Be sure the Spar varnish is traditional and not a modern plastic... Jamestown Distributers has some mnice stuff online....personally I like the Chambers Traditional Oil finish very much and it is easy!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 02:00:10 AM »
Spar varnish (assuming you can even find any now....usually you find "spar urethane") is made with phenolic or alkyd resins and synthetic oils.  I can imagine that it will be rather difficult to find spar varnish now with linseed oil.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:12:21 AM »
I always check antique stores for old cans of whatever - yes I have found several cans of old spar varnish - 50 - 75 yrs. old and un-opened.  I tried some and it needs to be thinned but it is the real deal!
I know lead content is a concern but if you are not consuming it or breathing the fumes all day I do not think it is a problem.         Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 03:38:14 AM »
Thanks fellows I appreciate both the advice and the concern.

I want to try to do the right thing on this first of what I hope are many builds. I would like to try to remain true to the spirit of the early pioneers/settlers in the Hudson Valley. My only exception is a rear sight as we discussed earlier in the year.

I've decided on the walnut stock (Come to think of it, better ask about that too...) so now I'm off to figure out what Spar Varnish is exactly, and while I'm at it Pine Tar to.  I seem to remember using pine tar on a horse's hooves long ago...

Best regards,
Albert A Rasch

Joe S

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:26:04 AM »
Forget about the spar varnish.  I’m sorry I brought it up.  As Stophel pointed out, most of it is urethane these days, and what isn’t urethane is mostly synthetics.  Real spar varnish can be very difficult to find.  The best thing to do is either make your own, or get some of Chamber’s stuff.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
Sutherland & Welles LTD., Makes a pure Tung oil Spar. There are other manufacturers of pure tung oil and tung oil, linseed oil mixes, of spar. A good one on the west coast, Oregon I think, but can't remember the name.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 11:29:30 PM »
Thanks for all the info!

Really appreciate all the good information. I had my suspicions that it might be all over the map, I would venture to guess you would use what was available in your area.

I'm going to take a look at Tung oil and linseed oil and see what I need to learn.

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Big Hogs and Bigger Dogs!!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 12:37:28 AM »
Thanks for all the info!

Really appreciate all the good information. I had my suspicions that it might be all over the map, I would venture to guess you would use what was available in your area.

I'm going to take a look at Tung oil and linseed oil and see what I need to learn.

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Big Hogs and Bigger Dogs!!

The old spar varnishes were mostly linseed oil as were most old varnish formulas.
Tung oil is OK but not HC.
On walnut tung oil is a bigger PITA than it is worth finding a heavy bodied tung oil is unlikely. You need a heavy oil for fill on walnut unless you want to spend a lot of time and energy on it.
If you want HC it will be linseed based unless a spirit varnish.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:50:12 AM »
I see...

Not only does the plot thicken, but the Linseed must too!

Thank you D. I really appreciate all the commentaries. It might just come out alright in the end!

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
Big Hog Hunting!!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming