Author Topic: Browning metal with walnuts???  (Read 2893 times)

Two Crows

Browning metal with walnuts???
« on: February 16, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
Just read about the method of boiling traps in walnut hull.  Suppose to turn steel dark and add rust prevention. Has anyone ever used this method to "brown" steel gun parts??

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Browning metal with walnuts???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »
I used to boil my traps in walnut hulls.  Gives a purplish-black color to badly rusted steel, which is the case for most traps.  There has to be a lot of surface rust for the color to take and it wears off during a trapping season.  The walnut stain won't touch bright steel.  It gets all over everything too.  I used to then dip them in wax sometimes- also a pain but sure made them fast for a while.
Andover, Vermont

Offline heinz

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »
I have the same experience as Rich
kind regards, heinz

FRJ

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 11:37:20 PM »
Since "browning" is a rust process I don't think it would work on firearms. JMHO Frank

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 11:56:30 PM »
Boiling  in horse pee would work better. Walnut is good for cloth, but it's not an acid. Acid is the ticket. I apply my chosen acid, but not LSD, and then rust it in a sweat box.

Aqua fortis works, and specific browning solutions work well. The key is surface preparation and cleanliness. Oils on the metal surface will cause a spotty result. Too high a polish will also cause the acid to bead up, causing a spotty finish. 320 grit is all you need. After browning, neutralize with baking soda or ammonia.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.