Author Topic: Gun re-do  (Read 3251 times)

Offline pathfinder

Gun re-do
« on: February 17, 2011, 05:41:57 AM »
I've had a few guns come into my shop latley that were put together by folks who really don't understand longrifle culture. Basicly they put parts on a pre-carve,stained and finished them with NO regard for style or symetry.
 What I do is remove all the parts,tune the lock,refine all the parts,carve,and thin and make a decent gun out of the thing.
 Question is; Do I put my name on the gun? Sometimes it takes longer to fix them than it does to make one fron a blank! I'd like some opinions,thanks.
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Online Dave B

Re: Gun re-do
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:07:39 AM »
I had talked with one fellow gun maker about this very subject. We felt that the builder of the rifle should be able to sign his name if he assembled and finished it. If a builder makes a pattern to have his design pre-carved for use in providing customers with stocks made to this pattern even more so. I personally wont sign a gun unless I am the one doing the work to build it.  I had some one bring an in the white gun to me for carving, engraving and finishing with the expectation that I would sign it. I did with the addendum of finished by My self but Fecit by the guy who assembled it  30 years ago.
Dave Blaisdell

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:08:27 AM »
I have become more caerfull about signing things. I had a couple of patch boxes that I signed my name , maker and year on the underside of the lid. A man came to me asking for them so I let them go. Turns out his work was kind of iffy and I wish my name were not attached as he never signed them himself.

Rasch Chronicles

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:20 AM »
Look, I can't draw a straight line with a rule and a CNC pencil holder...

You fellows that are artists, in addition to gunsmiths and gunbuilders, you ought not put your names on anything that you can't say, "Yes I did that." Trying to explain that you fixed someone elses issues is a sure fire way to perdition!

On the patchbox though, if you built the patchbox, I can see no recriminations comeing back on account of the builder's iffy abilities. The patchbox is its own object.

Just saying...

Best Regards,
Albert “Afghanus” Rasch
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles™
Hog Hunting in Florida!!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 03:32:34 AM »
I don't think I would sign it since I didn't design it. Signing a patchbox??? Maybe beneath the finial where it wouldn't be part of the finished rifle.