Author Topic: My new project before and after.  (Read 4997 times)

Offline M Tornichio

My new project before and after.
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
I have always enjoyed watching people projects progress because I always learn something new. My intent is not to do a how to, but just to have people follow along as I build my latest rifle. The before and after comes into play, because the before pictures are the 3rd rifle that I ever built. It was my first attempt at a patch box and it went well except for the engraving. The engraving is very poor, naturally being that it was my first attempt. Should have practiced much more before hand. I am scavenging the rifle for parts because I have had too many problems with the lock. I bought it from a company who was going out of business and it really was not put together correctly. I tried my best to fix it, but it really is beyond my abilities right now. so I am taking the barrel out and using for another rifle. It is a green moutain 7/8" 36  cal. I am going to build a plain appalacian style rifle. If I am lucky I will be able to use it to hunt squirrels this year.
Here are the pictures of the rifle as it originally started out.

Offline M Tornichio

Re: My new project before and after.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:58:50 PM »
Here are the pictures of were I am to date.
The barrel channel was put in by hand.

Profiled for ramrod channel.

wood planes rule! so much easier for installing the channel

ramrod hole drilled and stock profiled.

figuring out were to put the lock.

This is the quickest that I have ever installed a rifle barrel by hand 6.7 hours
All together I think I have about 12 hours in it so far.
the rifle will have handforged mounts.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:01:26 PM by M Tornichio »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:58:36 PM »
That rifle you scavenged didn't have any flies on it that I could see.  I think it was a fine effort.  You've made a good choice to make a plain appalachian rifle, so you can focus on the architecture.
Andover, Vermont

George F.

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 11:54:51 PM »
That original gun didn't look at all that bad, rather it looked good. I think the problem lies in your work shop... How do guys work in such a clean and orderly work area when your not getting paid to put everything back in it's place... just kidding I wish I had the discipline to have mine look like that...  Geo.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 12:12:13 AM »
That original gun didn't look at all that bad, rather it looked good. I think the problem lies in your work shop... How do guys work in such a clean and orderly work area when your not getting paid to put everything back in it's place... just kidding I wish I had the discipline to have mine look like that...  Geo.

When I saw the pics that was my first thought, wow that place is clean...I just spent 10 minutes looking for a hammer!
 The first one looks like a good start and the second looks like you are headed in the right direction, good planing. And the other gun pictured looks like it has good lines.
 I like the looks of that support arm you have there, is it anchored and then slides in and out?

Thanks, Tim C.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 01:39:15 AM »
My shop is normally not very clean at all. I just happened to clean everything up before the picture. The hammers are all in a drawer below the bench. Something that normally does not happen very much. The support arm is dead simple. I glued up 2x4 to the correct height for my vise. Then I glued some leather on top. The support is bolted through the top of the bench with 1 bolt. It allows for the entire thing to be swung out of the way if needed. I just swing it around when I have a rifle to work on. the other rifle in the background was one I built about 5 years ago with Hershel house during a western kentucky university class. I never have posted picture of it on here. I guess I need to take some.
Marc

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 03:01:35 AM »
Looks good for a 3rd rifle and the engraving will come in time.....actually I think it looks pretty darn good for a first try! Engraving has never been my strong point.

I wouold love to see more pics of the rifle hanging above the work bench if you care to post them.....and throw some saw dust around that shop when you get a chance, my wife just walked by and saw the pictures and asked why my shop dosent stay that clean?  Trouble maker!

wwpete52

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:40:47 PM »
Very nice work!