Author Topic: Novice flintlock shooter in Arizona  (Read 3619 times)

rfcbuf

Novice flintlock shooter in Arizona
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
I have a teenage grandson living in the Scotsdale Az. area(near Fountain Hills) whom I'd like to give one of my flintlock rifles. He is a novice to the sport of flintlock shooting and I plan to visit him in January of 2009. My plan is to ship him a rifle prior to my visit and take him to a range to instruct him on the particulars of this great sport.

I'd like to communicte with someone in the area to link up with for this project and also would like to know where we can shoot, buy some black powder etc. Please contact me via this forum. Thanks, RFCBUF

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: Novice flintlock shooter in Arizona
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:05:04 PM »
Can't help with powder or hooking up, but the Ben Avery shooting range is at Phoenix. Seeing as how Scottsdale is a "suburb" of Phoenix it has to be close. If you do a Google search for "shooting range Arizona" you will get several shooting ranges in Arizona.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 12:13:35 AM »
There are two places here in the Phoenix area where you can take your grandson to shoot the flintlock.  Ben Avery Range is on the North side of the metropolitan area near the intersection of Interstate 10 and CareFree Highway.  The range is run by Game and Fish.   The other range is Rio Salado Sportsman's club which operates a public range 7 days per week.  It is also a nice facility and is located on Bush Highway in Usery pass which is the north east corner of Mesa.  The Rio Salado range is probably closer to his location.  Make sure you bring eye and hearing protection.  Both ranges have a daily use fee.  Rio Salado also has a website and there are scheduled muzzleloading events there where you could pretty much rely on someone helping you out with a little powder.  (riosaladosportsmans.com)

As for buying blackpowder locally that is somewhat more difficult.  To my knowledge none of the local dealers is licensed to handle black powder.  I get mine annually when the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association is holding the winter National shoot at Ben Avery.  Not certain the date for this winter but it is usually about the 1st week of Feb.  Otherwise might have to have it shipped from one of the national suppliers.  Some of the local clubs have their own magazine where they store powder and divide shipments among the members as needed.  If you get here and get stuck for powder let me know and I will see about getting some from muzzleloading friends. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 12:17:22 AM by Jerry V Lape »

ChipK

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 06:31:38 AM »
Have him contact Chuck Zufal at the Cactus Cappers over at the Ben Avery Range.  Very nice fellow and a great bunch of shooter.  Here is there link.

http://www.cactuscappers.com/CC_Index.htm