General discussion > Contemporary Accoutrements

Rev War Powder horn!!

(1/1)

tallbear:
Check out the buy it now price on this horn on e-bay:-* :-* :-*No expert butseems a might high!!!!

link;http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200261760294&ssPageName=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=280274548161&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget&_trksid=p284.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D42

Mitch

Randy Hedden:
Mitch,

I saw this horn when it was listed on ebay some time back. The auction ended early and without any bids. Then the seller relisted it a couple of days ago.

I have read his description and story several times and a couple of things are apparent. The seller knows little about powder horns and for all the hype there is no real provenance for the horn. He believes that there are only three such horns in existence??? In fact he says that what he wrote is "enough for him" to know it is an original Rev War powder horn carried at Lexington and during the war.

The seller throws around a lot of names that are supposed to impress the bidders, but all the names do not show any provenance for the horn. 

I guess it could be a Rev War horn, but it would take a lot more than what he has stated to know for sure. It could very well be a horn that was made and carried by some Rev War veteran sometime long after the Rev War.

I think that anybody would be foolish to bid the opening bid of $20,000 and even more foolish to bid the "Buy It Now" price of $27,500. There are really nice signed and dated scrimshawed horns from the Rev War and before that don't command $20,000 let alone $27,500.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com

keweenaw:
Even if the provenance could be proven the price is at the very least 10X higher than it should be.
He's basically asking the price of a superb F&I war engraved horn for a plain supply horn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version