Author Topic: Whitmore and Wolfe locks  (Read 3100 times)

loco219

Whitmore and Wolfe locks
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:37:53 PM »
Reassembling a Whitmore & Wolfe percussion lock I found I have parts missing. Where would one search for internals for these? These are the common hardware store locks of the 1840's-1850's  made in Pittsburgh Pa. Is there a certain person/vendor who is the go-to? I am told many of these are removed when a rifle is reconverted to flint, would anyone hear have one laying around collecting dust? I would really appreciate any help, or a nod in the right direction of these parts. Yes, I will buy an entire lock if anyone has one, but would really only need bridal,sear,spring.  I posted this here because the for sale wanted tab states modern items only, please redirect if I am incorrect.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Whitmore and Wolfe locks
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 05:29:13 PM »
I'm outside Pittsburgh and will keep an eye out for you.   I see alot
of Whitemore Wolffe locks around here. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline markweston

• Starting Member
Re: Whitmore and Wolff locks
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 12:33:47 AM »
good afternoon. i know this was an old post but i am also looking for a tumbler and hammer for a Whitmore & Wolff lock.
thank you much.

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Whitmore and Wolfe locks
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 12:43:30 AM »
It's VERY unlikely it was made in the United States. Virtually all those hardware store locks were either British or Belgian...by the 1840s I think Belgian is more likely.