Author Topic: Grandad's rifle.  (Read 9694 times)

Offline M Tornichio

Grandad's rifle.
« on: October 14, 2008, 01:47:53 AM »
 I took some quick pictures of a rifle that is going to be a christmas present for my Grandad this year. This rifle has been in the making for about 3 years. I ended up working on two other rifles in the mean time. Finally finished it up. I am going to take a picture of him with the rifle when I get a chance. I have not given it to him yet though.

The barrel is a getz 58 cal 42" octagon to round barrel. The wood is curly hard maple. I rust blued the barrel and the lock. Modified set triggers. The brass mounts were from reeves ghoering. I made the rest of the parts.

I am still learning to carve. I tried to do a little more on this rifle.
Any critism good or bad is always appreciated.
Have a great day,
Marc

Offline M Tornichio

Re: Grandad's rifle.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:52:07 AM »
Forgot to mention the stock was stained with aqua fortis. Then finished with Jim Chambers traditional oil finish. I was going for a pretty dark color on the rifle, as that is my preference. The traditional oil finish is a dark oil. I was not expecting it to be originally, or I might have only put 1 coat of aqua fortis on. In the end though I really like the finish. I like the dark color. The strips in the stock sho up pretty good in real life.

jim m

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:54:16 AM »
Grandpa is going to be very proud

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:59:17 AM »
This looks like a really fine rifle.  Architecture is strong and clean, inletting, carving  execution, fit and finish, carving design, all look very good indeed.  I wonder about the styling, whether it is your own combination or emulates a particular school.  The carving behind the cheekpiece is related to Pennsylvania forms, but that style did travel a lot.  The tang carving and maybe the third screw on the sideplate look a little Southern to me.
Andover, Vermont

JBlk

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 02:02:24 AM »
One lucky Granddad!

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:02:54 AM »
I was inspired my the adam haymaker rifle, but it really is not a copy by any means. the side plate was his though. The tang carving was something I dreamed up. I though it might be something that could have been on a southern rifle.

I will probably give the rifle to him this weekend. I am hoping he gets a deer with it this winter. Should give him some time to get it sighted in the way he wants.

Offline smshea

• www.scottshearifles.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 02:47:45 AM »
Very nice!!!! Any Grandfather would be proud!

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 04:38:23 AM »
Marc,

Hey, for what it's worth, I like everything. I really like the color and finish.
Kunk

Offline gibster

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 04:44:38 AM »
Great looking rifle.  I like the rust blued barrel and lock with the dark stock.  Nice job.
Gibster

Firelock

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 05:42:20 AM »
A really nice rifle! Great, simple, lines! :)

J.D.

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »
That is very nice work. I'm a grandad too. So, is this something you are doing for grandads in general, hint, hint, or just keeping in the family.  ;D

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 12:59:53 PM »
I think the color is great! It certainly looks to be a shooter.
Gene

wwpete52

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 01:35:39 PM »
Awesome!

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 02:56:04 PM »
Marc;

Will you be showing this baby off this saturday at the builders class?

BillP

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
 Nice job Marc. I like the color, I too am a fan of dark stained guns, I think you can get more depth with a darker color.

Tim C.

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 12:49:17 AM »
One thing I would have done differently is to taper the wrist just a tad more and put the cheekpiece a little bit lower on the butt. Also, some of the carving, particularly the volute right in front of the cheekpiece, could flow a little bit better. Other than that, it looks very nice - You did a very nice job on the finish in particular, and, as Rich has said, it has bold, clean architecture. Good job.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:37:08 AM »
Marc,

I don't know you or your grandfather , but I do know that he must be a wonderful man to get such a nice gift from his grandson.  I also know he has a wonderful grandson.

Nice job on the rifle.

David Price

Pratt

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 03:27:20 AM »
  Nice job on that one Marc, I was glad to see you brought that one to display at the show last month. Handles very nicely, I would have liked to have shot it a while!  Your Grandfather will be proud

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 05:19:30 AM »
Really nice!! The one touch which most folks dont catch but I think makes a big differance is the grace that a tapered ramrod give the piece. You should be proud and he will be proud.
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks for all the comments guys. sorry that I did not reply sooner. My home computer is almost completely dead. Elnathan, your comments are very helpful. I always try to look at anything that I have built and try to figure out what I would change the next time. I came to the same conclusion as you. I was thinking that I like a lower cheek piece.