Author Topic: Antique Air Rifle...  (Read 4487 times)

BennyR

Antique Air Rifle...
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:40:09 AM »
I didn't know about this rifle, and some of you may have seen it or maybe even had the opportunity to fire it.  Very interesting, if you haven't seen it.

http://www.network54.com:80/Forum/451309/thread/1296928404/This+is+just+to+cool+not+to+spread+around

Benny
Orange, Texas

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: Antique Air Rifle...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
Thanks for posting Benny, I had heard about the air rifle that was used on the Lewis and Clark Expedition, but this filled in the blanks.  Very cool.

By the way, welcome to ALR, you will enjoy this site.

FK

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Thanks Benny  That was pretty cool.  Makes me want one.     JIM
JIM

pault5

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:03:44 AM »
I saw a copy of this air rifle made by a man from Chambersburg Pa.  It was demonstrated at a members meeting of ASAC.  It was very very impressive, the man shot it several times at a large pine board on stage.
I spoke to the gentleman later & handled the piece & it was for sale for a high price. (well worth it )

Paul

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 03:08:54 AM »
Do a Google search for "Lewis and Clark air rifle" and you will get a bunch. I've been following this story for some time now, and it's interesting to read the forensic evidence that leads to the conclusion that THIS one gun is the one that made the famous trip.

It has to do with the fact that Lewis documented the number of shots fired with one magazine loading. It provides support that this is the one gun that was modified to shoot smaller balls, allowing for 22 shots, where the unmodified guns only hold 21 because of their larger size.

Another bit of evidence is that the gun was repaired at one point along the journey, documented in the journals, and this gun shows that repair.

A fascinating bit for me was that the gasket that contains that 800 psi in the tank from leaking when the attachment is made to the gun is made from HORN.

Also interesting to read about the adoption of airguns by the Austrian military, and how the tanks were recharged in the field. Each man carried two extra charged tanks. The unit given these incredible repeaters were the ones considered the most loyal and trustworthy. After all, a mutiny by conscripts armed with this firepower was unthinkable to the monarchy.

It's a fascinating story. If you like history AT ALL, this story is worthy of your time. Google it.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 04:23:32 PM »
That is really cool.  I knew of the air rifle, but had no idea of it's power or caliber size.  I've heard of one in Williamsburg.  I think Wallace wrote about someone getting jailed for shooting out windows or something with it, but I assumed it was a single shot with a small cal.  Thanks for showing.
Gary Tucker